Main oil seal size quetion

Hello guys a quick question about the size of the rear main oil seal of a 2001 Greeny V11 Sport here.

I found locally a seal 68 53 8 (quick and cheap) but per the manual the seal size should be 68 53 10.

My question is if the less taller seal will fit and what I must expect of it.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what kind of answer you expect. I doubt most people would fit a smaller seal and be able to tell you what might happen. That means that you can and let us know how it goes.

Is finding the right size that hard?

You would need to be mad to fit an underwidth seal considering the hassle if it leaks and considering the cost saving I would go with the OEM seal.

Also I bet the generic seal you're looking at is NOT an anti clockwise directional seal as the OEM one is.

As I said an under width and bidirectional seal where a wider anticlockwise seal is specified is a little misguided.

Ciao 

The smaller one will probably show only one lip. The second lip is called 'dust lip', at least in German, so there's a good chance that the smaller one will work, too.

Be careful: 53mm is a rather big diameter, so calculate the resulting rim speed at 8000 rpm and check, whether your choice is able to cope with this.

Besides that, a leaking seal is not a common problem, in most cases the oil comes from a leaking cam cover. Unless you see a real mess below the bike it's probably not the ring.

• Like 1

You would need to be mad to fit an underwidth seal considering the hassle if it leaks and considering the cost saving I would go with the OEM seal.

Also I bet the generic seal you're looking at it NOT an anti clockwise directional seal as the OEM one is.

As I said an under width and bidirectional seal where a wider anticlockwise seal is specified is a little misguided.

Ciao

Thanks for the responses I did not know the main seal is directional specific, that is a reason to choose the OEM instead of the one I found.

Suggestion where can I get it in USA?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Also I bet the generic seal you're looking at it NOT an anti clockwise directional seal as the OEM one is.

Ciao

Thanks for the responses I did not know the main seal is directional specific, that is a reason to choose the OEM instead of the one I found.

Suggestion where can I get it in USA?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Try MG cycle or failing that Motointernational. I learned the hard way with regard to the seals. Guzzi use directional seals just about everywhere as do other automotive manufacturers on seals that are difficult to access. (ie crank, driveshaft and gearbox seals)

If you look at a Guzzi rear crank seal photo on MG cycle or the HMB guzzi site you will see small ribs on the sealing lip face these are the directional component and the ribs slope one way or the other depending on whether or not they are clock or anticlockwise.

Ciao

M.A.W. is in South America he probably has the only Guzzi in the country and doesn't have access to all the parts suppliers like we do.

But he may have the worlds cheapest gas. :mg:

• Like 1

M.A.W. is in South America he probably has the only Guzzi in the country and doesn't have access to all the parts suppliers like we do.

But he may have the worlds cheapest gas. :mg:

Maybe so but is this the part you want to skimp on?