Where does it go?

Amarrache

No, the silver tip shouldn't move. That's the sensor.

Would a couple dabs of superglue in the cylinder be appropriate to keep the sensor in place?

I would use this. It will glue almost anything. I used it to make the spoke rims on my 650GS tubeless.

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/amazing-goop/amazing-goop-all-purpose.html

• Like 2

The metal can for the sensor is free to move, it just sits in top held by the wires, check the resistance of the sensor about 3k Ohms from memory. NEVER get the plug crossed with the petcock if you have one or the expensive sensor will go poof in a cloud of magic smoke first time the level goes low.

Sent from my shoe phone!

The metal can for the sensor is free to move, it just sits in top held by the wires, check the resistance of the sensor about 3k Ohms from memory. NEVER get the plug crossed with the petcock if you have one or the expensive sensor will go poof in a cloud of magic smoke first time the level goes low.

Sent from my shoe phone!

What I was concerned about is the sensor freely comes out of the tube it sits on and that fuel would enter the tube (is that OK?) which contains the wires to the sensor.

I'd stick it in there with something. Have you checked to see if it's dead or not? It doesn't care about fuel in the tube, it is a thermistor. Voltage warms it up, and if there is fuel around it, it stays cool enough to not turn on the light. As the fuel level drops, more of it is exposed, and the low fuel light will barely glow. The warmer it gets, the brighter the light will get until it is at full brightness. Make sense? 

The old fuel level sensors were nothing but an off on switch which drove you crazy. Many people unhooked them.

If you SuperGlue or do anything the the collar to stop it's movement you can either unplug ar replace the LOW fuel level sensor .  

I have no input on the theory of operation of this . This same type of sensor exists in the oil pan of lots of vehicle. It sits horizontal & not vertical .  

So , does anyone know exactly how these work ?

I'd stick it in there with something. Have you checked to see if it's dead or not? It doesn't care about fuel in the tube, it is a thermistor. Voltage warms it up, and if there is fuel around it, it stays cool enough to not turn on the light. As the fuel level drops, more of it is exposed, and the low fuel light will barely glow. The warmer it gets, the brighter the light will get until it is at full brightness. Make sense? 

The old fuel level sensors were nothing but an off on switch which drove you crazy. Many people unhooked them.

I rode the bike a few times after I bought it and before I took off the tank to start doing the 12K maintenance. The low fuel light did in fact turn on, then it turned off, and back on. I think it is affected by the fuel sloshing around in the tank (on a hard and fast stop the light turned off). When I drained the tank I would say there was still about a gallon and a half of fuel still in it.  Does that sound right?  The low fuel indicator goes on at 1.5 gallons remaining? 

I rode the bike a few times after I bought it and before I took off the tank to start doing the 12K maintenance. The low fuel light did in fact turn on, then it turned off, and back on. I think it is affected by the fuel sloshing around in the tank (on a hard and fast stop the light turned off). When I drained the tank I would say there was still about a gallon and a half of fuel still in it.  Does that sound right?  The low fuel indicator goes on at 1.5 gallons remaining? 

So, yeah, that all sounds right. There is close a US gallon trapped on the right side of the tank. the light begins to glow faintly with about 0.8-1.0 US gallon available to the left side petcock. Going uphill, leaning right, or applying throttle will extinguish the light. I watch my fuel odometer as an indication that the low fuel light will begin to make *suggestions*.

• 4 weeks later...

It will not hurt to leave it loose both mine were as well but it can't fall out, held in bug gravity.

It's a thermistor normay kept cool by the fuel. When the fu level drops it rapidly heats up becoming lower and lower in resistance until the lamp turns on.

If you look closely you will see tiny slots which allow the fuel in and out but won't allow a flame to pass if it burns out.

Evr.

Sent from my shoe phone!