Need help with a part#

Guest SoCal Nick

Guest SoCal Nick

Does anyone have access to a micro fiche with part #'s? I'll try to explain what I need without butchering the explaination. I need to replace a rubber bushing that is in the end of the tie bar that holds the housing on the rear drive on the rear wheel. Make sense? The tie bar that I refer to is the one that runs parrallel to the drive shaft.

I want the part # so I don't just get blown off by a dealer.

Thanks in advance

This sounds like the rubber bush that others recently posted about.

SoCal Nick, would you mind reporting what mileage yours disintegrated at?

Typical trick of most manufacturers. They won't sell you a bush or grommet separately, it comes as part of much larger and more expensive assembley.

Good lord, not even Honda expect their customers to fall for that old chestnut!

Take off your tie rod, take it to you local machine shop and explain the problem and leave it to them.

Alternatively, you could buy a cheap set of verniers, clean out the rubbery munt from the eye of the rod and measure it and then go to a 'Wotta-lotta-crap' auto store and ask for a bushing with the same ID and OD as the original bit that was probably lovingly crafted out of the shite of the former, (If we can belive what Greg sez!) engineers who were responsible for the recen't wonders of the single plate clutch, the hydraulic lifters and the six speed selector dogs made out of play-dough!!!!

It's a rubber bushing for God's sakes! My rubber chicken collection is more sophisticated, and that doesn't include the one with the nozzle for KY jelly!!!

Get a grip!!!! Or a Sinclair C5??????

Pete

Easy Pete! Take your meds :lol:

Nick, you probably should go the route of replacing it yourself. If the local 'wotta lotta crap' auto store doesn't carry exactly what you want, then look at mcmaster carr. They'll have it in five different rubber materials and 3 colors :sun: They rock.

When I first read the post headline, the old Captain Beefheart tune popped into my head...hard, dark, hard rubber wheels....

Cheers,

Jason

I recently visited Andy York in Nashville. He had a set of bushes made up out of some techy polymer stuff. I think he's still in the testing stage to be sure how they'll act over some miles. Look here: reaction rod

Because the stock bush is set in inner and outer metal shells the bush is captured when mounted, the rod becomes a torsion bar which must affect the free movement of the suspension. It certainly looks to me that allowing the thing to rotate in the rod would give unrestricted travel to the suspension.

Guest SoCal Nick

Yep, mine sounds like the problem on the reaction rod thead. Thanks for pointing it out docc. I have 10k miles on the bike, but it was like that when I bought it so could have happend any time. I don't have a great deal of play in it so I'll just start looking for solutions now. I'm thinking a delrin bushing with a brass sleeve would work.

I had mine replaced under waranty. Both bushings were pretty well shot. If I recall the dealer said the replacement rod was something like $175 USD. If/when they go out again I'm going to have somebody machine some new ones out of delrin. Those ought to outlast the bike.

Cheers.

• 5 years later...
Yep, mine sounds like the problem on the reaction rod thead. Thanks for pointing it out docc. I have 10k miles on the bike, but it was like that when I bought it so could have happend any time. I don't have a great deal of play in it so I'll just start looking for solutions now. I'm thinking a delrin bushing with a brass sleeve would work.

The guy I bought my bike from had pressed Delrin bushings into the reaction rod. At the time I blamed it for the bike's "herky-jerky" (words of local MG dealer who owns a V11) driveline action. I got one used from Reboot Guzzi Spares & have the other hanging in my shed.

Easy Pete! Take your meds :lol:

Nick, you probably should go the route of replacing it yourself. If the local 'wotta lotta crap' auto store doesn't carry exactly what you want, then look at mcmaster carr. They'll have it in five different rubber materials and 3 colors :sun: They rock.

When I first read the post headline, the old Captain Beefheart tune popped into my head...hard, dark, hard rubber wheels....

Cheers,

Jason

also try Black Francis with Tight Black Rubber, thats a tight sturdy bushing tune.

Is the part we're speaking of in one of the diagrams? Which #?,if it is.Would just like to be enlightened if I had this problem down the road. :bier:

They're talking about the eyes inside either end of item # 1.

If mine came apart on the road I would probably continue to ride it. If it got intolerable I would wrap the inner sleeve with enough electrical tape to make it fit the hole. Voila!