Air Inlets Through Fairing

Well, while I was tinkering around with heat-shielding, etc... and thinking about not only my vapor lock issues, but also the new dual-output coils that themselves get hot....

I had looked at the mostly cosmetic side "scoops" on the LeMans front fairing, and remembered my FJ1200 that had functional scoops that force-fed air to the rather isolated tops of the cylinder head for cooling.

Well, I wasn't going to block the "scoops" on the LeMans fairing completely, as obvioulsy they are designed to guide air toward the cylinder heads, but I did want to try to scavenge a bit of the airflow and guide it up under the tank. Every bit of airflow helps right? And to tell you the truth, from what I can tell, due to the LeMans fairing, and the air-blocker around the fork legs, not a lot of air gets up and around beyond the dimensions of the oil-cooler :huh2: ...and the air that predominantly gets through gets pre-heated by said radiator.

So, I took two 1.5" plumbing pipes(sink tail pieces) and trimmed and glued them up, and secured them into two holes via screws in the neck of the tube behind the fairing. This way, no glue is used on the fairing, nor any screws, so hopefully it will prove durable and a clean solution.

Now, how well does it work... is it worth doing?

Well, I can sorta answer the first question :rolleyes:

Via my very scientific "hair-dryer test" :lol: ....I found that directing air from a hair-dryer, and later my high output garage cooling fan, toward the front of the bike simulating motion, a good bit of cool air seemed to get directed out of the outlets.

So hopefully at speed, a significant amount of cool air will indeed get scavenged and directed up under the tank, and on some key electronics like the coils :thumbsup:

...but I can't answer the second question :huh2: It was just something I decided to do, and think it "couldn't hurt"... but whether it makes a huge difference, dunno. But I like to think it could :D

Also, once the tank is on, and the side "scoops" are reinstalled, the inlets are invisible unless you look down/up into them :thumbsup:

al

air_inlet.jpg

Guest Brian Robson

Al, go out of the garage and head down to the local deli and you will find that a bottle of Pinot Gris will fit in one side and a Bologna sausage in the other. :bier::bier:

my high output garage cooling fan

high output

garage COOLING

fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ninja:

Ok, that's it... I'm going to bring that photo in from work next week and scan it... the one of my shaking hands with Richard Karn(Al) at some home improvement "expo" a few years back ....

I have it on the wall of my cube with the caption "Al meets Al" :lol:

We both have beards, about the same height... I'm wearing a flannel, it's too much :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'd get out more, but with the 2 young kids, and new one nearly here... I'm around the house or running errands in the afternoons after work. No blame placed, but ever since the GF and kiddos moved in last Summer, my time has been less available for running down to the local watering hole :P

But that's OK, it's been a good "tradeoff" :thumbsup:

:wub:

al

3 kids!!!!!

:o:o

Time to sell the bikes and get a Minivan, A volvo wagon or a monster SUV! :vomit:

I have a Suburban, and a Honda Pilot will be in the garage in about 60 days or less as soon as my bonus and tax-refund comes :P

al