spare parts for road trip

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

ok..I thought I searched the forum well, but I guess I didn't...

i'm trying to put together a nice little list of 'spare parts and things" I should back into my little backpack to take along on a 2000 mile road trip I'm planning.

so far...I've got relays, plugs, shifter springs, throttel and clutch cable, tire repair stuff...and a list of every Guzzi dealer on my route :)

feel free to let me know if ya'll find the right link, or just add to my list.

grazie!

Golly Dave, you sure are covering things.

Are you just wondering what spare parts of the bike you should take, or other things which would make it an easier tour?

BTW, which way you headed on your tour? There's still snow in the passes, including Mt. Shasta Pass if you're headed south.

I've done many tours on many bikes, including 3 tours on my V11 last summer, averaging 6000kms each. I could tell you some things that would be real handy to bring along, unless you've toured before.

Ciao, Steve G.

(Gurgle! Froth!!!!) You want a list of what??? For What?????? A 2,000 mile road trip???? Pfffft! Good God man! what the hell is wrong with you????

You have a virtually BRAND NEW motorbike and you plan to take it for a canter around the block and want to know what you need to take????

Look you nutcase, I'm about to come on a 'See how many of the natives I can offend in six weeks' tour of the USA, (Parts of it at least.) and I'm picking up a shitty old V1000 Convert of completely unknown provenance from a shop in Detroit. This machine is nearly 25 years old and has probably spent most of it's life in a chicken coop in Arkansas being used as a guano repository. Do I care? be-f@cked do I care. It's a Guzzi, anything that can go wrong can be fixed with a couple of feet of bailing twine and a FB hammer, don't kid yerself, the new ones are exactly the same, they just don't suffer from the guano problem.

Pack what you'd usually take for a weekend ride, (2,000 miles sounds like a weekend ride to me, 3 days or so??) and take a credit card in case something goes tits-up but that's unlikely as long as you check the bike over before you leave, (Heavens, the gearbox has even got a silly little poofterish window to check the level now, how hard is that?) then put petrol in it and ride it till it stops.

Good God, you V11 owners are sounding almost as soft as bloody Ducatisti, or worse still BMW owners, (Oh! Heavens! My GPS says I'm more than 20Km from a dealer! We'll have to turn back!!! :vomit: )

Start engine, engage gear/s, flog the clacker off it, come home, repeat as often as necessary until you understand!!!!!! :mg::mg::mg:

Pete

Aw, you guys are ruthless! Everyone needs a proper talisman with which to sally forth in the geatest confidence. :grin:

For some it's a cable ( sure synthetic is fine), some oil or a few select electrical bits.

For me it's a few zip-ties and a leatherman tool. It's rather important, before you start, to grasp the ties in the right hand, tool in the LEFT and circle the bike counterclockwise 2 1/2 times.

Being from the south'n hemisphere Pete will have to reverse the process on one leg then repeat on the other leg when arriving in Detroit. Fumes are optional.

ok..I thought I searched the forum well, but I guess I didn't...

i'm trying to put together a nice little list of 'spare parts and things" I should back into my little backpack to take along on a 2000 mile road trip I'm planning.

so far...I've got relays, plugs, shifter springs, throttel and clutch cable, tire repair stuff...and a list of every Guzzi dealer on my route :)

feel free to let me know if ya'll find the right link, or just add to my list.

grazie!

Dave,

Take at least two credit cards with you, I ran into a problem two years ago when Chevron decided to only limit you to 3 purchases in a day. Humm, 600 miles equals how many tank fulls?

Make sure you have your cell phone and charger.

A Sagging Tit tire plug kit.

Advil for those long hours in the Saddle.

If you hit Northern California, we will have to get together!

Mike

Guest dkgross

:D Wise words of wisdome from all of you. Pete, you're the best. By all means, if you get to Seattle, the beer's on me :)

perhaps I should start with purchasing the freakin SERVICE MANUAL AND READING IT, eh?

You guys completely crack me up!! My best bud said the same thing...A flat tire kit and a bunch of credit cards is all I need.

I think I read this forum too much and just figure all of YA'LL problems are gonna bite me in the ass one day

I won't be heading out till the end of April or so, and, yes, it will probably end up more than 2000 miles...Just a west coast romp...two weeks and where ever the bike takes me :)

I'll add the twist tie/zip-lock cable tie thingies to the list, for sure.

:bike::mg:

Guest dkgross
I could tell you some things that would be real handy to bring along, unless you've toured before.

Ciao, Steve G.

I did a 3000 mile one on my 1150 RT, and a bunch on my old Pacific Coast, but nothing on the Lemans. Any tips would be appreciated.

and, of course, i have credit cards :)

The tools in the toolkit plus a few added items to enable setting the valves (11mm wrench, feeler guages etc.), a foot of safety wire, small pair of long nose vice grips, a bit of duct tape wound around an empty film can, some extra fuses in the film can and two small Mini Mag flashlights. Let us know your route and you'll get a number of volunteers for phone numbers, help and a place to stay as well. When's your trip? I've put just over 100,000 miles on Guzzis so far and have never broken a cable. Lube them and then forget about them for a while. Dave, when I dropped by your place last July, that was the beginning of a wonderful trip that eventually had me riding every volcano on the west coast (except Mt. Hood). It was an absolute blast. The only malady I had was dropping the bike turning around. In front of the Canadian border guards. Twice. Broke a turn signal. The Canadians probably were thinking "Eh, look at that fellow. Sure to be stoned on drugs or something, dropping his bike like that. Twice. If we let him in, we'll have to keep an eye on 'em." And the American guards... "Jeez, look at that clown. If he gets into Canada - don't let him back into the USA." I didn't go into Canada, just turned around in shame and headed back to the National. I had a ball on that trip though and would do it again. Best road ever? Hwy 138 east of Roseburg Oregon going west after leaving Crater Lake. Never dropped below 80 mph for 51 miles except for the corners marked 35 MPH. If you don't visit Mt St. Helens and Crater Lake - you'll have blown it. If you get down here to California, give me a call, maybe I'll have something bigger than the V65 running by then.