Flaking paint on crank case?

Guest delux

Guest delux

I'm picking up my V11 Sport this Saturday, I was told about the black paint on the engine crank case bubbleing or flaking caused by heat usually within 4,000 Miles. Has anyone run into this problem?

Guest dkgross

most of us ;) do a search on Bubbling Paint, and block out an hour or two to read. Your dealer can fill you in on all the details.

Maybe it's another of these dealers that doesn't appreciate the differences between different models and years.

The only one dealer that is near to me told me that there are no differences between 2001 and 2002 models. That's why I went to England to buy the bike, get parts by mail order and do the work myself.

(Hey :o - the big giant long 'no pics' smilie thing has gone! That's you guys complaining about it :( )

Guest delux

I guess I'll wait to see if it happens seeing as the bike only has 4mi on it. Just got the new owner jitters, need to shake them. I'm sure the new Guzzi will shake all concerns away. I'll keep ya'll posted, thanks for the input.

Shit.... Stop it.... I have work to do. I really only read the tech topic because of the serious nature. Thanks for the lite laugh relief, I needed it.

What is it about computers that turns many of us into idiots?

Just as a note, my 2002 has flaky paint real bad on the crankcase. My dealer won't even consider doing the case replacement. They recommmened some discounted harley paint and a little elbow grease. Who would of thought that harley would of gotten something like paint right???? ;)

Guest mcloutier

I hope everyone realizes that these cases will probably never hold paint. The reason for the paint peeling was the process used to prep the cases for paint. This is why they are replacing the whole case and not repainting them. If you are not going to strip the paint on your case down to the aluminum you better plan on getting the case replaced. :wacko:

Just as a note, my 2002 has flaky paint real bad on the crankcase. My dealer won't even consider doing the case replacement. They recommmened some discounted harley paint and a little elbow grease. Who would of thought that harley would of gotten something like paint right???? ;)

What do you mean they won't? That's awful :unsure: It's a warantee recall from MGNA.... they "have to"... or at least some dealer will. It's not really to the dealer's discretion.

I wouldn't try to force any reticent dealer to do the work though, as it would probably turn out shoddy, but I'd write MGNA to find a dealer within a reasonable range that will do the work for you(if you want it) or get the accessory trade package.

Sorry to hear that... :(

Here's hoping the new cases hold paint at least as long as the tranny/bevel :bier: (Although my tranny has a few teeny tiny bubbles :doh: )

I'm just excited to get a nearly free engine rebuild with better parts out of this. So in my mind, this whole affair is actually "good news"... in a twisted way B)

If I keep the bike long enough such that all the paint begins to fail on the driveline, well, I'll cross that bridge then. After all, it really doesn't bother me that the paint fails after a few YEARS, just when it failed in a few months. I can either repaint them myself(silver or black) someday, or just strip it bare. Who knows :huh2:

al

Well i am sure that if I really pushed the issue they would be more than happy to R&R the cases. They are of the opinion that if it isn't broke don't fix it. I have a good running '02. No bolts problem, trans spring etc. Why meddle? Just to have paint on the case that won't match? While I understand some individuals reasons for replacing the cases I just don't want to mess up a good thing. To each their own I guess.