GuzziDiag version for Mac OS X: 0.50? or 0.47?

p6x

On 9/5/2021 at 1:12 AM, TobyBott said:

It worked for me on Catalina.

I'm trying to get guzzidiag to run on mac book pro running Ventura 13.4

Using The unarchiver got me past the first hurdle p6x mentions, but for me it still doesn't run.

28 minutes ago, mikev said:

I'm trying to get guzzidiag to run on mac book pro running Ventura 13.4

Using The unarchiver got me past the first hurdle p6x mentions, but for me it still doesn't run.

It does not run the first time, but it does the second time. I think it is some malware protection built in MacOS that verifies that you really want to run a program which has not been downloaded from an Apple approved server.

However, I have not yet managed to communicate with the interface because you need to assign and open a port. I should believe the software does it, but Apple has probably built a protection to prevent it when the software is not approved by them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p6x said:

However, I have not yet managed to communicate with the interface because you need to assign and open a port. I should believe the software does it, but Apple has probably built a protection to prevent it when the software is not approved by them.

In case it is of any use, here is what Bernd wrote on the german forum:

Infos zu Mac OS X

Die ZIP-Datei irgendwo entpacken und die App starten.
Das sollte es gewesen sein.
Da ich leider kein Mac User bin, kann ich nicht viel mehr dazu sagen.
Mittlerweile laufen die Programme ohne das der Finder abstürzt.
Die Verbindungen kommen zustande und bei GuzziDiag kann an die Werte ablesen.
Auch der Software Up- und Download bei den 15x funktioniert.
Trotzdem ist noch kein 100% Zustand erreicht, aber ich arbeite daran.

Neue unschöne Infos zum Mac:
In einem anderen Forum hat ein Benutzer sich näher mit der Apple-Version und neueren OS X Versionen beschäftigt.
Er entdeckte, das Apple seit OS 10.8 eigene USB Treiber für den FTDI chip benutzt die originalen würden so erstmal nicht mehr funktionieren.
(Kann ich nicht ganz nachvollziehen, weil in meinem Emulator läuft es unter 10.8 und 10.9)
Aber als Lösung benutzt er ein kleines Programm mit welchem man den Apple-Treiber deaktivieren kann.

http://www.enttec.com/support-center/kb/article/108-OS_X_Mavericks_%2810.9%29_-_IMPORTANT

Edit: the link leads to somewher that doesn't look useful. See the EDIT at the end of this post.

Das Programm mus währen der Benutzung von GuzziDiag laufen und der Apple-Treiber deaktiviert sein, dann gebe es keine Probleme.
(Ich nehme mal an, wenn man vorher die FTDI Treiber auch schonmal installiert hat)

Leider bewege ich mich da auf ganz dünnem Eis und kann dazu weder etwas positives noch negatives sagen.

The result of a DeepL translation (slightly improved by me):

Info regarding Mac OS X

Unzip the ZIP file somewhere and start the app.
That should be it.
Since I'm not a Mac user, I can't say much more about it.
I've reached a point where the programmes run without the Finder crashing.
The connections are established and the values can be read from GuzziDiag.
The software up- and download for the 15x also works.
Nevertheless, I haven't reached 100% yet, but I'm working on it.

New unpleasant information about the Mac:
In another forum, a user took a closer look at the Apple version and newer OS X versions.
He discovered that since OS 10.8 Apple uses its own USB drivers for the FTDI chip, so the original ones won't work anymore.
(I can't quite understand this, because in my emulator it works under 10.8 and 10.9).
But as a solution he uses a small program with which you can deactivate the Apple driver.

http://www.enttec.com/support-center/kb/article/108-OS_X_Mavericks_(10.9)_-_IMPORTANT

Edit: the link leads to somewher that doesn't look useful. See the EDIT at the end of this post.

The program has to be running while using GuzziDiag and the Apple driver has to be deactivated, then there are no problems.
(I assume, if you have installed the FTDI drivers before).

Unfortunately, I'm on very thin ice here and can't say anything positive or negative about it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

To put it all into perspective: Bernd doesn't own a Mac, so his testing possibilities are a bit limited.

On top of that, he doesn't even own a Guzzi for which Guzzidiag is applicable. His Guzzi is a Le Mans 850. Given that, all credit to the man that the programme even exists. :)

EDIT: the link in Bernd's text leads to an australian manufacturer of LED lighting systems. The relevance is, they us DMX (common lighting control system. Look it up if you're curious) to control their systems, and reading their site indicates that the interface they use has an FDTi chip.

I think, but am not sure, that the article that the link was supposed to lead to was probably this:

https://support.enttec.com/support/solutions/articles/101000396106-macos-software-not-recognizing-dmx-usb-pro

reading that and extrapolating might help solve problems, I think. Perhaps. :huh2:

I'm going to send that to Bernd, because the link in his text in the german forum is not that useful. If he responds with anything positive, I'll pass it on.

ANOTHER EDIT: the post in which that text was found was last edited in May, 2022.

• Thanks 3

@audiomick

I am running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7; this is the highest version that can be installed on this 10 years old MacBook Pro equipped with an 2.4 GHz Intel I5.

When I launched GuzziDiag V 0.47, it does not auto format for my screen size. Part of the window is outside of real estate, and the window size cannot be adjusted. But it launches without crashing.

The view button does not work either.

Probably easier to purchase an old MS based computer.

24 minutes ago, p6x said:

@audiomick

I am running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7; this is the highest version that can be installed on this 10 years old MacBook Pro equipped with an 2.4 GHz Intel I5.

When I launched GuzziDiag V 0.47, it does not auto format for my screen size. Part of the window is outside of real estate, and the window size cannot be adjusted. But it launches without crashing.

The view button does not work either.

Probably easier to purchase an old MS based computer.

Much easier to get a Windows Laptop...after finding the port, it's a piece of cake to work it.

3 hours ago, Sempervee1 said:

I am running  O/S Catalina also on my 2010 Macbook and I had no problems hooking up to my 07 Norge...

What version of GuzziDiag for MacOS?

What version of Catalina?

I am wondering if the split screen that was added, which allows you to have two windows juxtaposed side by side is not messing up with GuzziDiag. The "Green" button in the upper left corner of the window is missing on the GuzziDiag window. The one that says "Full screen" "split left" split right".

On 6/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, p6x said:

What version of GuzziDiag for MacOS?

What version of Catalina?

I am wondering if the split screen that was added, which allows you to have two windows juxtaposed side by side is not messing up with GuzziDiag. The "Green" button in the upper left corner of the window is missing on the GuzziDiag window. The one that says "Full screen" "split left" split right".

I am running V0.60  * OS 10.13.6

4 hours ago, Sempervee1 said:

ha! it seems that the version I was trying to run is an older build.

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sempervee1 said:

I am using GuzziDiag V0.47 with Mac OS 10.13.6

(Kind of afraid to upgrade the guzzidiag version since what I have "works" . . . )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, docc said:

Kind of afraid to upgrade...

I don't think you need to be concerned. Remember, Guzzidiag is an executable file, and doesn't need installation. That means trying out a newer version won't disturb the previous installation, because it was never installed in that sense, it was only ever just executed.

Leave the older version on the computer, get the new one and run it instead. If it doesn't work, the old one is still there. You can even put them both in the same folder on the computer. The one you click on is the one that will run.  :huh2:

• Thanks 1