Wheel bearings

Tim

After a hairy moment on the M3 here in Blighty when one of my front wheel bearing decided to collapse - I'm wondering whther anyone can give me the size and type of bearings I need. (I have a friendly bearing place just up the road from where I live). This would speed repalcement up as I would have the bearings ready to pop straight in. Any useful hints or tips on removal/replacment are welcome - particulalry how to avoid taking any paint off when I drift the the bearings out!

regards

Tim

2K V11S

my rear bearing on the brake side is toast. Is this task worth doing or should I take it to a shop?

Re rear bearing: Is the spacer in the hub between the 2 inner races a good fit? Mine wrecked L/s bearing twice cos spacer was too short.

It's a straightforward job.

Don't know front size off hand...

KB :sun:

front wheel bearings are

52x 25x 15 mm = 6205

52x 20x 15 mm = 6304

make shure you check the spacer lenght when you have things apart. Mostly they are not correct in lenght, and thats why the bearings fail. Front and rear. Maybe the spacers are correct, but the wheels aren't all the same:-) I once measured two v11 wheels I had here, the space from brakedisk disk was 2 mm different.

For the rearwheel, when you take the cush drive out it's plain simple. Also there check spacer lenght.

• 4 years later...
front wheel bearings are

52x 25x 15 mm = 6205

52x 20x 15 mm = 6304

make shure you check the spacer lenght when you have things apart. Mostly they are not correct in lenght, and thats why the bearings fail. Front and rear. Maybe the spacers are correct, but the wheels aren't all the same:-) I once measured two v11 wheels I had here, the space from brakedisk disk was 2 mm different.

For the rearwheel, when you take the cush drive out it's plain simple. Also there check spacer lenght.

What is the brand of Bearings (front and rear) that are available for these bikes? Does anyone know if All Balls Racing makes bearing for our bikes?

You could use any brand of bearing you like. The sizes are the same for every brand an are quite common. I use a quality brand: SKF, because I can get them cheap(ish) at my former employer.

+1 on checking the spacer length!

front wheel bearings are

52x 25x 15 mm = 6205

52x 20x 15 mm = 6304

Tim, just to be clear you'd want to add 2RS (sealed type) to the above when you call the shop

6205-2RS

6304-2RS

These are very common bearings available everywhere. Don't go for the cheap ones from China

My stock rear wheel bearings were both SKF brand. 6204-2RSH on the brake side, and 6204-2RSH/C3 on the drive side. I replaced them both with /C3 SKF bearings (made in Argentina) from Mcmaster-Carr. Part number 6661K105. In my experience Mcmaster ships almost instantly and has very good prices and shipping rates. They also carry a grease gun fitting that will reach the elusive front Ujoint zerk; part number 1090K47.

If you want to make your bearing replacement go easier consider something like this: http://www.pitposse.com/whbereset.html. Here's a review: http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/pitposse/wbremover/ .