What to wear

Guest Warren Rhen

Guest Warren Rhen

I have a leather perforated jacket and leather perforated pants that I like very much. It has all the armour and is very comfortable and I wear it in the summer. I would like to wear it for my cold weather riding also but the perforation makes it too cold. Is there something I could wear under it that would be windproof, warm and pretty thin. If it's too bulky I won't be able to wear it and still fit in the leathers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a hard call, as it's hard to block all that ventilation.

But you might check into underarmor:

http://www.safetyleague.com/Products/Unifo...or/ColdGear.htm

I've been thinking about getting some for hot weather. I hear great stuff about their apparel, especially for hot weather....

al

Guest dkgross

wow. Cool stuff!!!! I actually have some thermal stuff from the Aerostich catalog that I wear under my perf leathers. The Thermax stuff is great for keeping warm under the perf stuff:

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

also, in the hot weather, the dri-gear is great to keep persperation off of the jacket. I wish they made some long-johns to go under the perf pants tho..

You don't want syntetic material closest to the body is you crash

since some melts and burns into your skin if you slide on tarmac. :o

Keep the leather asis for protection and add a layer of windbreaking

and waterproof jacket and pant OVER that.

Guest dkgross

good point about not having synthetic next to the skin...

so, what do you do if you don't want perspiration to soak into the leather pants? My Vansons' are lined, but it's not removeable for washing...

good point about not having synthetic next to the skin...

so, what do you do if you don't want perspiration to soak into the leather pants?  My Vansons' are lined, but it's not removeable for washing...

Cotton underwear,

but during summer it get a little warn with longlegged underwear. :blink:

Anyway I wash my leather garment in water and soap,

let them drip dry

and oil them up with mink oil when dry.

I have even put a heavy duty leather jacket

in the washing machine with good result.

I have a Darien jacket for real cold and a Joe Rocket non-perforated jacket for normal - around 60 degree f. temperatures. My friend recently won a nice-lookingTeknic PERFORATED jacket which he sold to me at a good price. I was amazed at how chilly the thing is. I almost froze to death. I will now only wear it if the temps are over 70 f. So, my advice is to FORGET about using perforated anything if it is even a little cool. Just get a regular leather jacket or textile when it is not hot.

The synthetic isn't a big deal in regard to melting in a crash, especially if you have leathers over them. Can it happen? Sure I guess, but Cordura solutions like those used by Aerostitch, etc... wouldn't be so popular if it were a major issue.

In my experience with running in the heat and motorcycling in very hot and cold weather, although I too like the feel of cotton, it doesn't do a good job in either extreme if it gets even slightly wet... from perspiration or water.

I was amazed with the difference in comfort when I switched to proper running shorts versus cotton :o Similarly I have special motorcyling underwear that is designed to reduce "seam burn" on those 10+ hour days, and they wick the moisture away so it can evaporate. A huge difference in comfort.

Anyway, YMMV, but if you have the proper gear over your underwear, I wouldn't worry too much about the "melting" factor. After all, if you've gotten that far through your armor to begin melting and abrading your underwear, well, I don't think a couple mm of cotton or poly is going to really make that much difference .... :unsure:

al

I don't know how it comes to be,

people with leather suits tend to slide tarmac more...

I would like to try that in anything textil :blink:

looked bad enough as it was.

now we had naked hairy ass in "Technical ...",

which answer a question in "24/7" :thumbsup:

x.jpg

Silk is a good alternative as well. One can get silk uppers and lowers at just about any sporting goods store, especially if they sell snow/ski apparel.

But the new synthetics from underarmor, etc... have become quite good as well.

al

Natural wool, surely, has become all the rage again.

I used to wear my granda's old woolen vests for mountaineering when it was deeply unfashionable and everyone was in plastic. Although I am out of touch, I think wool has made a comeback as a 'perfect' material, though it's probably called Special Organic Insulation Fibre or something and costs 5 times what it used to.

It probably doesn't scratch any more. It stays warm (heats up) when wet, is fire resistant, lightish, renewable, long lasting, biodegradable....

and you can probably get it in second hand clothes shops, still in nearly as good condition as the day it was made, 50 years ago. :thumbsup: