Gearbox ratchet spring - Fix?

Baldini

The V11 series is 1999-2004/5.  ("first generation" 6 speed)

I would not think any gearbox parts from later years would be correct.

• Like 1

I have just purchased a 2002 Lemans with 4k miles. I doubt this issue has been addressed on it. Since the bike is new to me, is there someone out there who can summarize:

The parts that I need to fix this

Where I can obtain them

The tools needed

The exact instructions to perform the fix

I am not the worlds greatest mechanic, and what I see in this thread is helpful, but not quite enough for me to perform the fix.

Thanks to any and all who can help!

You can order a new spring from Harper's for just a few bucks.  I keep one in my tank bag when I am on the road (not that I could install it on my own but at least I have the part).

I have just purchased a 2002 Lemans with 4k miles. I doubt this issue has been addressed on it. Since the bike is new to me, is there someone out there who can summarize:

Where I can obtain them

The tools needed

I am not the worlds greatest mechanic, and what I see in this thread is helpful, but not quite enough for me to perform the fix.

It is member Belfastguzzi that detailed the best threads on this pawl spring business.

Search his posts with the advanced searching . . . . the pictures in the thread have likely expired, but the content is superb.

I recall a while back someone just filing the ratchet down.

BTW pall spring breakage is not restricted to the V11, the spring broke on my old Eldorado at 130,000 miles, I think it was the original because it just had 2 coils, the later ones have 3 coils so they are not so stressed.

I ground my ratchet down using a Dremel.

If you remove the shifting mechanism cover, you can feel how the spring binds up if the ratchet boss is too large. It's really no wonder they break.

After grinding, the spring can compress without binding up. 

As for the springs breaking and getting in the works, how about slipping some heat shrink over the common break point to hold the pieces together.

A friend suggested attaching the broken spring to my keychain as proof of passage. just like the old mariners used to get an earring after rounding the horn.

I will hold off on the body piercing. :oldgit:

Ok I have a shoulder with dimensions of 15mm, such as it should be. I started a new spring and ... I have two gears. First, clearance and second gear come without problemu.Third not running unfortunately to drive as if something was empty lever goes up, but does not perform any work on the racks. Do you have any idea what it could be? I took off the lid and the mechanism by hand works very well.

And propably as i Was informed by our colegs in US, i must also replace „Ratchet" part number in catalogue is: 01235130 - but i find my diameter is right now 15 mm. But the springs in my MG deeler all of them in the box are 16-17mm. They are form year 2007. Is this posible? Can you tell me what i should do? beacuse if i order new spring it might bee the same as i have now - 16-17 mm?

15 mm for the ratchet and 16/17 mm for the spring is ok.

Most broken springs were found in KS-Series ex works because there was a bad series of ratchets with a diam. of 16 mm. Maybe some of the these ratches were sold as spares and can now also be found in KR and KT series.

You can find a nice illustrated tutorial to change the spring  on www.v11sport.de  (even on the road and without draining oil )

Warning: Don't drive without a spring, a SPDT-Relay and pliers for circlips onboard.   :grin:

Gunther

Ok thanks a lot. What do you mean that i shouldyn't ride with broken spring? i was running with the broken spring for over 15 km... i was have only the 1 gear saw i drove to my service station... 

If you replaced the spring and you're only getting two gears you probably didn't have the shifter fork pins and the shifter plate assembly lined up properly when you put it back together.  I think that's the toughest part of the pawl spring replacement job.  I suggest that you:

- remove the shifter plate

- put your shift lever on the shift shaft and shift it up to 6th gear, back down to first, then into neutral.  You can watch the shift drum when you do this and figure out when it's in neutral.

- move each of the four the shift forks to the exact center of their travel.  Since there are two forks per shaft this means you need to push them together in the middle of the shaft then move each one half way back toward the outside.  This will put the transmission into neutral.

- re-install the shifter plate and give it a try.

And propably as i Was informed by our colegs in US, i must also replace „Ratchet" part number in catalogue is: 01235130 - but i find my diameter is right now 15 mm. But the springs in my MG deeler all of them in the box are 16-17mm. They are form year 2007. Is this posible? Can you tell me what i should do? beacuse if i order new spring it might bee the same as i have now - 16-17 mm?

15 mm for the ratchet and 16/17 mm for the spring is ok.

Most broken springs were found in KS-Series ex works because there was a bad series of ratchets with a diam. of 16 mm. Maybe some of the these ratches were sold as spares and can now also be found in KR and KT series.

You can find a nice illustrated tutorial to change the spring  on www.v11sport.de  (even on the road and without draining oil )

Warning: Don't drive without a spring, a SPDT-Relay and pliers for circlips onboard.   :grin:

Gunther

Ok thanks a lot. What do you mean that i shouldyn't ride with broken spring? i was running with the broken spring for over 15 km... i was have only the 1 gear saw i drove to my service station... 

i meant:

Driving away from home on a V11 you should have always with you:

1 or 2 Relays e.g. http://tinyurl.com/n9aums7

1 or 2 Springs http://tinyurl.com/q3scv4p #25

1 Pliers for circlips e.g. http://tinyurl.com/ptpfg9a - you will need it for #13 and eminently for #26 (for #13 alone a screwdriver would do) - isn't a high quality tool, but you can disassemble into it's parts (very small)

1 Allen-wrench 5mm, short side cut to 10-15mm - you will need it for the lower left allen-screw of the cover (situated behind the frame)

1 Toolset e.g. http://tinyurl.com/o787xqp

1 Tube of sealant e.g. http://tinyurl.com/nazx9cp - between cover and gearbox there is no gasket - you have to use sealant

With this things on board you can drive your V11 around the world   :) - changing a broken spring in 20 minutes on the roadside.

....and when ready....

1 Pc. of e.g. http://tinyurl.com/pxd2kar

Gunther 

Where I can obtain them

The tools needed

It is member Belfastguzzi that detailed the best threads on this pawl spring business.

Search his posts with the advanced searching . . . . the pictures in the thread have likely expired, but the content is superb.

Here's BFG's thread in FAQ (not sure the status on the pictures).