footpeg re-lo kit

Guest Steve in VA

Guest JohnInNH

Just got mine in... Will put them on when I get my bike out of the shop. Been 2 weeks now. :( Maybe "NEXT week"

Looks like I am getting a new bike so I have one to ride when the other is in the shop. A pristine modified 1984 Cal II

Thought carbs, hard bags, wind screen, floor boards and a different riding position would be a good idea. B)

Any reason to NOT get a cal II ? :huh2:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reason to NOT get a cal II ? :huh2:

If you only drive two blocks to go to the corner store maybe...

Cal II's are fine machines- the carbed version is supposed to work very well- it's the last of it's kind really. It'll handle well, go fast, stop good- what more could you want?

I'd like to have another bike like that someday, as I enjoy riding Sonya's Jackal. Alas, it's not to be for awhile, and (advertising alert!) I need to sell her bike.

j

I tried to install my kit yesterday. The footpeg bolt is really torqued on and there's no way to access the rear lock nut to loosen it. Short of using my impact wrench and a allen driver, I don't see the benefit outwaying the risk of chingering up the footpeg bolt. If you removed the porkchop completely it would be a "go", but that's a lot more than a 30 minute job. Kit will sit in a bag, until I misplace it, or forget what it is :luigi::(:moon:

Maybe I have the only Guzzi to come out of the factory with every nut and bolt tightened up. :lol:

PB Blaster and an impact driver with an allen bit did the trick for me. Got the old bolt out, but is nearly stripped. Rode from Maine to Brooklyn (350 miles) in the cold drizzle yesterday afternoon. Couldn't have done any distance riding without the lower pegs. I have finally morphed to fit the machine. Looked out onto the misty, green Connecticut mountains and really enjoyed the moment.

Guest Thundering Subash

I had the same problem on one of my bolts Droydx. I finally resorted to using a propane torch lightly on it and voila, it came off fine. :thumbsup::grin::homer: No matter what you do, in my experience the paint comes off a bit where the pegs are located. No matter to me, however, as I plan to do the Centauro conversion at some point this summer, and the drop down plates will cover up the marred areas. While this kit drops the pegs down, they also bring them further back, which doesn't work for me. :blink:

Guest ksann

I ordered the kit yesterday, and recieved it today.

The right side peg bolt was pretty tight, but I was able to get an 18mm wrench back there to hold the nut. Otherwise the nut was spinning.

You will need a 6mm allen key (for the new bolts, and the old peg bolts) and an 8mm allen for the old frame bolts.

It was very simple, so I will test it out tomorrow, but it seems nice.

:bier: Evoluzione

ken

Guest dkgross

sorry I took so long..

fwiw...I don't think I'd go with the Cenaturo setup if I had to do it all again. There's just not enough difference, and I don't like the look of it that much. I miss the other pegs...Might put them back on someday...

post-5-1084156967_thumb.jpg

Interesting feedback, as it looks to me like they would seem to make a BIG difference in ergos.

Maybe in combination with the TB bars, you can't tell so much?? I bet in combination with the stock bars, the difference would be quite noticeable, perhaps more than with the new bars in combination :huh2:

They do look a bit bulkier than the stock solution, but other than the custom plate for the shift linkage, this looks like it could be a good solution for many folks ^_^

Thanks again for the great photos. I'm sure that will help a lot of folks making their decisions.

al

Guest WildJackal

To get to the left side footpeg nut I removed the shifter shaft/bolt. Be careful when you put it back on you don't over tighten it.

Guest dkgross

Interesting feedback, as it looks to me like they would seem to make a BIG difference in ergos.

I guess it's just hard to say. I'm only 5'8", so on a taller rider, it probably would.

I took a stock Rosso for a spin, and my feet didn't bother me once I readjusted..I sort of even didn't mind the stock bars, but, I'm not switching back :)

Guest Bruce

I just installed a set and went out for a quick 50 miler to check it out. Like the extra leg room alot, brake is just fine, shifter needs a little work. Also, I found I liked the right peg moved outboard a bit so may look into moving the left peg out as well.

As far as getting bolts off I tried the usual stuff, ie penetrating oil, pounding on them, without much luck. So I put a large adjustable on the peg mount itself and wiggled it a bit ( easier to touch up a bit of paint then deal with a stripped out allen ) and with that they came right out. Actually there was only a small amount of paint damage.

While I was at it I ordered the bright H$ bulb. The wattage is the same but it certainly appears brighter to look at ( actually painful to look at on high beam standing about 100 ft away ). It wasn't dark enough on the road to see if it illuminates better.

Turn around time on the order was just amazing.

• 1 year later...
sorry I took so long..

fwiw...I don't think I'd go with the Cenaturo setup if I had to do it all again.  There's just not enough difference, and I don't like the look of it that much.  I miss the other pegs...Might put them back on someday...

24219[/snapback]

what brand peg /shifter setup is that?