Engine Stand

3cells

I have been wanting a Guzzi for years, so 18 months ago when one came up cheap via a friend I couldn't resist. It had sat unloved for a long time, meant to be a runner but just needed a battery.

Needless to say, whilst it maybe a runner there are many bits that need fixing, seized brakes, the fuel lines have perished and leaked. I haven't had time so it has sat in the workshop waiting for much needed TLC. Bike needs stripping down, cleaning up parts - including repairing the rear sub frame that somebody attacked with an angle grinder - and putting back together.

Ideally, I would like to jack the bike up by the engine - and with the engine supported strip it down. As I am new to Guzzi's is there an engine cradle/stand available that will sit on a scissor table, or is it a case of make my own?

• Like 1

Just what I do, so others may have a different opinion, but all I use is either some blocks of wood or a wide jack something like this

motorbike-motorcycle-table-bench-worksho

If supporting the gearbox as well, I just stuck a scissors jack underneath it

Stein Dinse (and probably a lot of others) have specific stands, but I've just never found them necessary

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=686#prettyPhoto

• Like 2

5 hours ago, docc said:

I make it a rule to use strapping to secure from tip-over.

(Don't ask me why this went from a suggestion to a rule . . . :blink: )

IMG_7474.jpg

Anyone who has seen one go over , knows EXACTLY how you feel .  Or to come in the next day after the jack has leaked down !

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, Skip said:

I made a cradle for under the oil pan which more than doubles the the stability, and a strap to the ceiling.

cradle.jpg

I love this concept, @Skip!

How did you derive those dimensions and angles? Does the "half moon" cut-out index on the oil filter access cover or is it simply a relief cut for the access cover?

cradle.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 9:24 PM, docc said:

I love this concept, @Skip!

How did you derive those dimensions and angles? Does the "half moon" cut-out index on the oil filter access cover or is it simply a relief cut for the access cover?

cradle.jpg

Hey Doc,     Been really busy, but thanks. The cradle can be rotated for either access depending where you want your balance point. Greatly increases stability.

Smiles,  SKIP

cradle drawing.jpg

cradle 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1