Best helmet?

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

Since I didn't find anyone discussing this, I am wondering what helmet you think works best (besides personal fit), based on style, features, weight, etc...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I didn't find anyone discussing this, I am wondering what helmet you think works best (besides personal fit), based on style, features, weight, etc...

Helmets are for protection so that is the No 1 feature.

Any multi fiber race helmet from AGV, Shoei, Suomy, Arai, X-Lite is a good choice.

Pick the one the has a good (tight) fit on your head.

Comfort features like flip-up-front, fast lock straps are no-nos

so is buying cheap plastic helmets.

I saw an AGV helmet yesterday with a plain matt black finish. I fancied one to go with the flat black of the Scura.

Trying various helmets, the AGV fit was very good for me too. They do a ML size, not just a M and a L. The matt/flat black was the wrong size for me unfortunately. Seems it is also end-of line: apparently there are new models now and no plain, flat black.

I would have liked that helmet.

Guest robbrugg

I've noticed that Guzzi actually has their own (flip-up) helmet, but can't seem to find out how much $$$

I've noticed that Guzzi actually has their own (flip-up) helmet, but can't seem to find out how much $$$

What the others said.

If interested in a fliptop, I bought a Nolan N-100 in summer '02, primarily based on the combo of summers in the South (tho I never rode with it "flipped"), a very positive write-up in MCN, and its convenience at stops for a 4-eyes rider as I am.

I then visited the pavement with it, SMACKED it on the temple very hard, and threw it away. Pretty impressive performance. Though I have 3 Shoeis (RF 800, 900, & X-11), am about to buy another Nolan for the heat ahead.

Have seen the Guzzi one, and it looks fine. Not sure about the Guzzi helmet features or cost, but think it is in "$4's." Selling point on Nolan was metal ratcheting mechanism, unlike plastic/nylon in most others. Also quite inexpensive compared to Lexus-like Schuberth, tho almost as good in features. Only drawback with Nolan was noise, but I wear earplugs for all but down-the-block runs, so a non issue for me.

Bill

Guest Jeff Kelland

I just personally tested a rf800 shoei in a live multiple impact situation. I will replace it with another rf800.

i :helmet:

I am very impressed with my Arai Quantum E. Excellent ventillation ability, never fogs, very light weight, quiet, and the little deflector that pulls down under my chin does a wonderful job of keeping wind and noise out.

When I was looking I looked at Arai and Shoei. I bought the Arai because it fit my head shape better.

I started looking after one of the guys in my club crashed in a Davida pudding bowl. Scrapped my Davida after seeing his face...

Rj

I have what you would call an Arai head, specifically Quantum E or Quantum F, although the Quantum F with it's many vents is actually noisier.

All I would recommend is to get a helmet that is not black. Why? When do we ride most? In the summer. So why would you want to fry your head, unless looking cool is paramount.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

There will be 2 camps...flip up front or no flip up. I like Arai. I use an RX7RR. Great fit, good air flow, little misting and a visor that lasts over 2 years...in all weathers

Well, I'm a long time Arai fan, but the comment on what fits best is really to the point. I don't have a Quantum head, I have a Signet head. Quantums make my head feel like it's in a vice! I really don't mind spending the $ for a quality helmet, and I replace them every 6-7 years at max. Flip ups = :cheese:

Guest j. ciccone

field tested two shoei full face r800 r 900 and i can still type, if it fits shoei is the only way to go. if not Quantum e is nice but face shield is not as good imho. Also shoei sent me a new helmet for free when I sent them my crashed one. I am a life long shoei guy.

Guest Marcel

Hi,

Arai fan here, Sigma, Quantum E and now a Atro/J. The Sigma saved my life. But .... talking to an Arai tech (he used to live next door to my parents): better to have a cheap, well fitting helmet than an expensive not well fitting helmet.

Fit is most important, then if you have the budget, spend it on a top brand was his opinion. I've tried flip-up's last year. They are no go for me. They just are not comfy for me. I tried Shoei, Nolan, Schubert and gave up.

Guest steveguzzi

I've tried on just about all the eurpoean made helmets over the years but only you can decide what fits right. I agree with the above comments that people have Arai or Shoei shaped heads. When you try one on that is a good (tight) fit , and it immediately feels comfortable, buy that one, whether its "cheap" or expensive.They all are quality approved or else they won't be on sale. :bier: Personally Shoei for me.

Steve