Guaranteed faults

belfastguzzi

Good news on some easy sorting! :thumbsup:

it's worth mentioning again that when the speedo drive is assembled to the gearbox you must be sure the short drive shaft is aligned in the slots otherwise it willpush the bevel drive apart as you tighten it down. :luigi:

Guest Bruce

After replacing many of the rubber bits and pieces I now use a product that I mail order called "Vinyl and Rubber Dressing" and after two years all of this stuff still looks brand new. I spray all of the plastic as part of a routine clean up and it seems the bugs do not stick to it as they did before ( ie mirror backing, instrument cluster, etc ). Originally I bought it for my car because "Armor All" makes it too shiny and kinda cheesy looking. This givens a very nice satin sheen.

You can find it at WWW.griotsgarage.com . Caution, not cheap. The guy is a fanatic and he caters to other fanatics but I've had good results with his stuff. Bottom line, to me his products are worth it.

While I'm on the topic I also spray their "Speed Shine" on all the waxed surfaces as part of a post ride clean up. Curious stuff. It looks great but to the touch almost feels like there is WD-40 on the surface. It also seems to reduce the bug count and is very easy to use.

Er, back on the 'common faults' thread: Is it still common for the side covers and starter cover to develop cracks and jettison pieces? Or are they making them from something more durable now?

Guest Brian Robson

Docc, I saw a new 04 LeMans with a crack in the side cover on the shop floor, so it may well be safe to say yes to the cracking issue. Personally, I can live with it thanks to superglue, and just about all of my previous bikes have had some form of plastic issues with body work.

I have a new starter cover, still in the wrapper. The original one decided to split one afternoon in Pentictin, half disappearing into some ditch I guess. I won't install the new one. I have two new side covers installed, same reason. I have reason to believe the gas tank being installed too low at the back caused this, so I have shimmed the back of the tank so it does not touch the side covers. As well, I have installed the screws on the side covers looser than before, and used the tinyest amount of loctite so the screws don't fly away. So far so good.

Vibration destroys all, and it will happen in different ways to different bikes depending on the engine configuration, excepting a multi like a Honda flat 6 or inline CBX. My old Ducati was a real plastic bodywork eater as well.

A V11 based bike is certainly no worse than alot of new bikes out there, but there are others out there that have way less vibration problems.

You can slot vibration into that justification clause, namely "character".

Ciao, Steve G.

Another sure-fire cause, and one I've seen on several of the cracked side-covers.... is that the rubber bushing is wedged into the hole crooked, then when the bolt is tightened down, craaaaaaaack :unsure:

Taking the covers off, and making certain that these bushings are placed neatly in their holes has staved off any newly cracked covers in my case so far(knocking on wood).

My originals were cracked, and the corresponding holes had deformed bushings wedged into the holes.

al