Jacket

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So I have a little time before my bike arrives (V11 Naked).

I am looking at these brands of jackets:

- Dainese (felt good, not alot of venting/perfs though - excellent styling)

http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/jackets/index.htm

- Kushitani (felt AMAZING - like butter! Well vented. Clean design.)

http://kushitani.com/onshop/newshop_a.htm

- Icon (Haven't found this one yet)

- Alpine stars (Haven't tried this one yet)

I have tried these but disqualified them:

- Joe rocket (bad fit, felt clunky, alright styling)

- First gear (clunky, boring)

I will add to this list as I try out more - If anyone has comments/suggestions for warm climate riding, please add!

...a thought ^_^

Spend a little time trolling the local Sportbike forums in your area, and I bet you can find a custom leather shop that specializes in custom gear that is a much higher quality than the mass-produced stuff, and probably only marginally more $$.

We have a couple such shops up here in NorCal, so I'm sure there has to be some in LA.

I had a great jacket made by San Jose Leather, and then there's Helimot...

al

Rob, I second Al's endorsement of Helimot's (in San Jose), very nice custom leathers or semi customs (Erbo) leathers. Very nice people to work with also.

If you are looking for warm weather riding gear, I would suggest your local BMW motorcycle shop...especially their Airflow jacket. In fact BMW makes very nice clothing, but pricey!

Marsee is another brand worth looking into for textiles. If you search Motorcycle Consumer News I think they had a comparison on warm weather jackets not too long ago.

Guest Bruce

Vanson also makes some really cool jackets, lots of retro stuff.

www.Vansonleathers.com I think, interesting site too. I visited their facility awhile back and was impressed, nice folks too.

I think BATES Leathers is right in your backyard, their work is great, and they have been around forever. There's good reasons why.

Comparable quality to Vanson & SYED, which have been an East Coast racer's thing, Bates, Helimot, and others have catered to the left coast. (Kind of like how Pro Italia was the performance shop for the Western Duc owners, Ferracci for the East....)

While I currently have a Dainese two piece suit which I like, an off the rack suit will never match the fit of custom made leathers. You'll appreciate the difference very fast. If I had to do it over again, I would have dug out my old suit specs & had the folks up North make up another for me.

If you're thinking of investing this much $$ for multi-colored pieces of a cow, check out the custom suit makers. Really.

Hope this helps.

Phil

:bike:

Guest robbrugg

Thanks alot guys - I will be heading over to BATES today/weekend and check them out. A friend just recommended them to me too. The thought of a custom jacket sounds great, and I can't imagine it being more than $750 (Kushitani price). Maybe have them make a set of pants too!

Robb

the Dainese Bora is a great jacket, I was in a D-Store in Bologna and they didn't have any left, the best selling one they have they said, looks way better that on that picture, I would have got one but is too racing looking for my liking, I got the Guzzi one instead, more vintage looking.

Maybe have them make a set of pants too!

No maybe, It's the way to go. All the protection of a one piece and practical for when you get off. I assume that they will zipper all the way around.

I loved my BKS set allmost as much as food. need to lose some weight. Its a lot of money(£1200 replacement) to have hanging in the wardrobe.

I had Z Custom Leathers make a two piece for me a couple years ago. Very, very nice. Also very knowledgable and caring people there.

Z Custom Leathers

Huntington Beach, CA, USA

www.zcustom.com

Guest robbrugg

I'm checking out Z Custom Leathers right now - by the way, check out the Kushitani with white striping on page 27 of the new July Cycle Word magazine! I can't tell you how incredible that jacket felt!

Robb

• 1 year later...
I'm checking out Z Custom Leathers right now - by the way, check out the Kushitani with white striping on page 27 of the new July Cycle Word magazine! I can't tell you how incredible that jacket felt!

Robb

26424[/snapback]

Check out transatlantic or aero leathers based in Scotland these guys make excellent leather jackets, apart from very heavy steerhide, they only use Alaskan hide, it's thicker they also do horsehide. For you US guys they do a whole range of retro Police and Military jackets. I have had one of their steerhide jackets for fifteen years and it still stands up on it's own. Checkout their wb site they often have offers on. The leather jeans they do are fantastic just like Lewis Leathers circa 1968.

Macguzzi, I see you have a 1972 V7 Sport. I wonder what your frame number might be for 1972? I saw a red framed Sport today. I dare say it's not a genuine early bike. I did note down the frame number. I couldn't make out everything, but I think I got the important bit: VK11979. Would that be around 1972, rather than '71? Maybe it's even '73? I've also written down, 30671. That must have been on the engine.

DB

Macguzzi, I see you have a 1972 V7 Sport. I wonder what your frame number might be for 1972? I saw a red framed Sport today. I dare say it's not a genuine early bike. I did note down the frame number. I couldn't make out everything, but I think I got the important bit: VK11979. Would that be around 1972, rather than '71? Maybe it's even '73? I've also written down, 30671. That must have been on the engine.

DB

58705[/snapback]

It's hard to say but I would assume it's a 1973 with that frame and engine number it will give you a date of manufacture on the VIN plate ie mine is December 1972 and the engine number is 300 before this one