Shift Return Spring Failure Poll

At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?

• 1-2000 miles
    • 2-3000 miles
    • 3-4000 miles
    • 4-5000 miles
    • 5-6000 miles
    • 6-7000 miles
    • 7-8000 miles
    • 8-9000 miles
    • 9-10,000 miles
    • 10-15,000 miles
    • 15-20,000 miles
    • 20,000+ miles

18,000 miles and so far no issues on the Tenni. :notworthy::mg:

It's possible that the previous owner took care of it, but he didn't say as much so I'd guess it had the right parts from the get go.

Have any of the other Tennis had this problem? I'm sure they have, but it's worth asking

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redguzziv10

Ah crap.

Went out for a lovely evening ride yesterday of about 140 miles, and started to notice the gear change getting a bit "clunky" from 2nd to 3rd, and vise versa.

"I wonder if that is a known fault" i thought to myself, and decided to have a quick peruse of the forum....

:doh: ah well, i guess i'll be adding my tick to the 8000 mile option soon.

Anyway, thanks to the higher intelligents here, i know know what the fault is, and how to fix it...so can anyone recommend where to look for a new spring and boss?

The good news is that the bike is booked in for service etc on September 1st (i get to ride a courtesy Griso for a week... yeehah!)

The bad news is, i'm off to the V twin before then approx 450 miles round trip :(

Anyone like to take odds on me making it... :D

Ah crap.

Went out for a lovely evening ride yesterday of about 140 miles, and started to notice the gear change getting a bit "clunky" from 2nd to 3rd, and vise versa.

"I wonder if that is a known fault" i thought to myself, and decided to have a quick peruse of the forum....

:doh: ah well, i guess i'll be adding my tick to the 8000 mile option soon.

If it's just clunky, it's not the spring. If your spring broke it will simply be stuck in gear and the change won't work at all. Check the various adjustments. External ones first.

What about your oil?

Guest redguzziv10

BFG,

Hopefully you're right. But maybe "clunky" wasn't the right description.

what actually happens is- whilst changing gear, the lever sticks for a short period, and if i still have pressure on the lever, i can feel it "clunk" into position. All other gears are ok, and it doesn't matter what speed i'm doing, or whether the bike is hot or cold :wacko:

Guest Nogbad

BFG,

Hopefully you're right. But maybe "clunky" wasn't the right description.

what actually happens is- whilst changing gear, the lever sticks for a short period, and if i still have pressure on the lever, i can feel it "clunk" into position. All other gears are ok, and it doesn't matter what speed i'm doing, or whether the bike is hot or cold :wacko:

Mine does something similar to this when hot: On changing down, the lever will stick down until the clutch is engaged again, at which point the lever will spring back up and change normally. Tends to afflict second gear the most, i.e. going from 3rd to second.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where I may be able to get hold of a shift return spring to fit my 6 speed box to a 2002 Scura? The factory do not appear to be making them at the moment!

Any help would be very much appreciated - a month without the V11 is not funny anymore.

Thanks Si in Chelmsford, England

Si,

If you're willing to pay for shipping from the USA, get a hold of the good folks at

www.cannonracecraft.com

This is the replacement spring most are going to in our neck of the woods. The price over here was under $30 US for two springs. I can't imagine shipping being too much

Cheers, :bier:

Bill

Si,

If you're willing to pay for shipping from the USA, get a hold of the good folks at

www.cannonracecraft.com

This is the replacement spring most are going to in our neck of the woods. The price over here was under $30 US for two springs. I can't imagine shipping being too much

Cheers, :bier:

Bill

Many thanks for the info. Have just been told this morning that the spring has now come in from the local distributor.

All the best

Si :)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

spring.jpg My spring went at 6002 miles, It was in first gear as I was about to enter the on ramp of the freeway. Lucky for me the trip home was less than two miles and early enough for very light traffic.

The removal and disassembly of the plate and spring replacement was not difficult.....getting things lined up and the cover back on is not so easy. I would not be able to do this on the side of the road.

I obtained two replacement springs and they came labeled as "MG improved spring", I hope so. My spring broke just before the first bend of the coil. The clearances are correct and filing of the plate would seem pointless, although I did clean up the edges. It appears to me that the spring broke because it was made of inferior material. I use my clutch and am not overly abusive of my LeMans and so I hope this problem won't occur again. Cost of springs.....$5.75 each. Cost of labor........I don't know as I will attempt to re-install my pre-selector cover today.

Maybe doing the repair roadside would be easier. I finished the job in spite of the interference from my wife.

The new spring has a much livelier feel than the original. Back on the road again :bike:

• 2 months later...

My spring just failed with 14,9xx miles on my '02 LeMans. At least I already have the Cannon spring, will attempt to install it tomorrow :luigi: . I guess I should have installed it last winter (everybody has 20-20 hindsight, right?), but I thought I was safe given my mileage.