Shift Return Spring Failure Poll

At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?

• 1-2000 miles
    • 2-3000 miles
    • 3-4000 miles
    • 4-5000 miles
    • 5-6000 miles
    • 6-7000 miles
    • 7-8000 miles
    • 8-9000 miles
    • 9-10,000 miles
    • 10-15,000 miles
    • 15-20,000 miles
    • 20,000+ miles

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just had to say...turned 10k miles on the Guzzi today, and my original spring still works...

34461[/snapback]

You eeeeeeeeeediot :( ....now you've gone and done it :blink:

Well.... now it'll break probably in the next few days, most likely somewhere inconvenient ;)

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, if it hasn't broken in that many miles, I bet you got the correctly sized boss and/or better spring(whichever the cause) and will probably be alright going forward. At least I hope so, now that I've "fixed" mine based on those assumptions :D

Guest Dave Pott

BUSTED PAWL SPRINGS :bbblll::bbblll::bbblll:

OVER-SIZED BOSSES :bbblll::bbblll::bbblll:

:notworthy: Guzzi Gods protect me. No Jinx No Jinx No Jinx

O.K. here goes....... My '04 Billabio continues to be rock solid. No Jinx. I'll turn 11k miles this afternoon with nary a problem with shifting. No Jinx. 80% of these miles have been in twisty environments with lots of shift activity and I have not noticed any shifting irregularities. No Jinx.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for when breakage happens. For example, Bill Hagen in Atlanta has the same bike as me and guess what? POW his spring breaks at 7k while mine is still going strong at 11k. No Jinx It's as if the factory just has this big pile of shifter parts from various vendors with various quality control and the assemblers just randomly grab the parts as they put the bikes together :huh2: And so I guess when you buy a bike

one must pray to the Guzzi Gods that yours has the correct bits and peices :blink:

:notworthy: Guzzi Gods protect me. No Jinx No Jinx No Jinx

It's as if the factory just has this big pile of shifter parts from various vendors with various quality control and the assemblers just randomly grab the parts as they put the bikes together :huh2:  And so I guess when you buy a bike

one must pray to the Guzzi Gods that yours has the correct bits and peices :blink:

I'm sure that is EXACTLY what happens, as many of the parts in these bikes haven't changed in 30 years and the bikes are assembled from "bins" of parts that just keep getting replenished by dumping in more as the supply runs low.

But this isn't unique to Guzzi. A similar example is dating Fender guitars from the 1960s via their serial numbers. Although one can get a general "window" of manufacturing date from the number, in actuality, the assembler just randomly pulled a plate from a "bin" of plates as the guitars were assembled. In theory, as new plates were delivered and dumped in the bin, a guitar with a serial number that dates from 10 years prior could conceivably just have been assembled as the plates were mixed up and randomly grabbed.

It happens all the time in scenarios like this.

So conceivably, a 2005 V11 could still get a mis-sized boss, if one of those arms is still hanging around the pile :unsure:

But in theory, over time, it should be less and less likely as those parts are culled/used from the stock.

al

Guest Dave Pott

[QUOTBut in theory, over time, it should be less and less likely as those parts are culled/used from the stock.E]

I hope it gets to that point before I buy my GRISO :mg::D

Guest scooter jay

My first one broke @ 9000 mi my second one broke @ 14000 mi.

Now my bike misses between 2nd & 3rd gears and backshifting is "pot luck" at best .

My 03 Le Mans is for sale as is my 79 cx 100

I'm sticking with TRIUMPH'S the ones I know best.

ScooterJay :huh2:

**** For example, Bill Hagen in Atlanta has the same bike as me and guess what?   POW his spring breaks at 7k while mine is still going strong at 11k.  No Jinx      ****

I leave tomorrow for a trip to Charlottesville, Virginia, about 650 miles away. I'm taking 4 days to get there. :D

Anyway, I am taking an extra spring and the printouts & pics from here with me. Have this vision of a side-of-the-road nighttime tranny surgery session. :blink:

I'm at 11K+ indicated, tho my speedo was out for about a K (after last spring failure at 6.5K or so).

I'm praying to the same Guzzi gods, fickle as they may be. :notworthy: I'd sacrifice a virgin if I could find one. :P

Anyone here living along the way [generally Asheville, Roanoke, Charlottesville, and returning on Fri via more W.V. route] who wants to laugh at a Ballabio in full touring gear, call me on the road. 404.808.8486 (mobile) I've already arranged to meet some Guzzisti in Virginia, and one--a Jackal owner-- is going to test the Ballabio to see if he wants to switch sides.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Now I'm past 52,500 km / 32,600 miles on the original spring :unsure:

why do I have this feeling of an anvil hanging overhead?

maybe you lot just have steel toed boots with no feel whereas I have the supple touch of a Mike the Bike... :whistle:

Surely I've jinxed myself now :lol: