Tire Question

Guest vkerrigan

Guest Brian Robson

Probably a combination of directional tread, suspension settings, tyre pressures and braking.

I have a Bridgestone 014 on the front and there is no cupping and the tyre is shagged (tread wise)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding late to this thread, just put on a pair of the Avon 45/46 tires after running the Bridgestone 020's. Officially, then, the Avons are DA BOMB. They have a triangulated profile in front, which makes them much quicker steering than the Bridgestones. I think this is key to their favor for V11's and other Guzzis. Our bikes are fairly long and (relatively) heavy, making them fairly slow steering machines, if very stable. I can't imagine these tires on a Honda CBR, but for my Scura, they seem to work beautifully. They also seem to me to have better grip than my Bridgestones, or at least feel much more planted at lean than my others did. Very confidence inspiring.

I'm no racer, can't say that I'll ever get to the very ends of these tires, but I'm really, really happy with them. They'll be the set of tires I stick with for this bike, for as long as I own it and Avon continues to manufacture them.

Dan

Guest goldgooz

I now have alittle over 2500 miles on my Avons - AV45/AV46. So far I'm very pleased. I had BT-010/020 combo on my Lemans and loved them, but the Avons are even better. They steer a bet quicker, warm up fast, and have great grip. At this point, they show very little wear. John B :mg:

Agreed, just spooned on the AV45 / AV46 combination and they are much better than the BT020's. Now just need to figure out the best inflations. I'm running at the Guzzi recommended settings, but I've heard some folks going to 36 psi front, 42 psi rear. What's the concensus? (this ought to be a lively discussion.. :) )

Guest goldgooz

Spoke to Gary Eagan ( iron butt guy ) at VIR a couple weeks ago about the Avons. He runs 39psi front, 42 rear for best mileage. I've been running 36 front, 40 rear with great results. John B