Tire Question

Guest vkerrigan

Guest vkerrigan

There's an interesting story in the latest Rider magazine regarding long distance touring with U.S. Iron Butt champ Gary Eagan featured. This is the guy who rode from San Francisco to N.Y.C. in 37 hrs on a Ducati ST4. He claims the best tire combination he's found for his type of riding is the Avon AV 45/46 combination. I'm due to replace the 020's sometime soon and while I'm not unhappy with the performance or longevity of the OEM Bridgestones, has anyone out there actually tried this Avon combination and if so, could you provide some feedback on your impressions. TIA & Happy Trails....vk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Gary Egan last month at the Ducati May Madness ride up in Weaverville. I have to admitt, he is a man of a different breed. He stopped and talked to me for awhile about the Avon 45/46 tires. Like the article states, if there was a better tire out there, he would be using them.. Many Ducati ST owners have switched over to the Avons and really like them. They are suppost to work well in the wet and the dry plus you will get some high mileage out of them.

Gary also stated that what tire works for one person, may not work for someone else. It depends on your riding style. He also said that he could get 8000 miles out of the rear tire and riding style has an effect here also. Hard acceleration out of turns and braking hard causes the center of the tire to wear faster.

I am planning to try these tires next after my Dunlops D220 wear out.

At the May Madness event, I did walk away with an Avon hat, Tee shirt and tire depth gauge. Now I just need the tires! :thumbsup:

Mike

so i'm on my 3rd set of tires with 6000 miles on the bike. The OEM tires came off at 1000 miles coz they weren't giving me enough grip in corners. The last set was a set of Metzler M3's that I actually really liked. Those wore out pretty quickly last summer after approximately 2500 miles. (i'm a wuss, i only ride on dry days) and now i'm running Pirrelli Diablo's.

I love the fact that people use essentially the same V11, for multiple purposes. In fact I might run a touring compound when I buy the Nero later this Summer.

Incidentally is there anything I can do to stop the edges of my tires from blistering during spirited twisty riding ? Will the tire last longer if I get it up to temperature first ? It kind of seems that seeing as the tires has the same compound all the way through the tire that i'd see that kind of tire wear on the center of the tires tread from just riding freeway...

hmmmmm i'm a bit confused about that one. Maybe someone who tracks bikes regularly might explain that one to me :)

Robbie

Mike,

Given your testing and feedback that the Pirelli Diablo Corsa really works well on the 2002+ bikes with the longer wheelbase, quickening their steering up almost on-par with the earlier bikes... I wonder how the profile of the Avons compares?

I've also heard some good things about the Avons, but want a faster turning tire after the Bridgestone 020s wear out, and had been leaning toward the Pirellis(realizing I won't get the same mileage out of Corsas versus the Avons).

Any experience, thoughts?

al

spirited twisty riding ? Will the tire last longer if I get it up to temperature first ?

Dunno...but maybe you will :blink: ! What tyre pressures do you run?

Al, the ordinary Diablos are pretty good grip, much better than 020's (wear a bit quicker) - Corsas are more track focused. I don't know, but I thought Corsa profile's same as Diablo, just softer compound. Handles better on Diablos than 020's anyhow ...... and.......170/60 turns better again... :rolleyes:

KB :sun:

spirited twisty riding ? Will the tire last longer if I get it up to temperature first ?

Dunno...but maybe you will :blink: ! What tyre pressures do you run?

Al, the ordinary Diablos are pretty good grip, much better than 020's (wear a bit quicker) - Corsas are more track focused. I don't know, but I thought Corsa profile's same as Diablo, just softer compound. Handles better on Diablos than 020's anyhow ...... and.......170/60 turns better again... :rolleyes:

Regarding the Diablo versus Diablo Corsa, that's a good question :huh2:

If the profile is the same, and the Diablo is softer than the 020, then that might be a good compromise.

Then there's the Diablo versus Avon question in regard to profile as well :huh2:

al

Only grip problem I've had with Diablos is right over on the tread in very long constant radius bends, they sometimes slip a little, back first. Most everything else is fine & they wear very evenly across the tread, I found 020's cupped front & I wasn't happy with grip. They don't last very long, but that seems to be the norm these days. I'd like to try the Corsas but mileage would be silly. Can't comment on the Avons, not used them.

Guest Rustleo

I am running the Avons on my BMW K100RS and very happy with them so far 2500miles. They show almost no signs of wear. The allow me to scrape the bags through Deals Gap, so I know they hold. Actually they changed my lines through the corners. I have a friend with a Concours that switched and states it handles much better than the Dunlops . I am using Michelin Sport pilots on my Le Mans. I have perhaps 1000 miles on them. They also give me more confidence through the twisties. I would have put the Avons on the Le Mans but was given a Michelin rear and only had to buy a front.

Guest vkerrigan

Thanks to all for the input. I'll probably pull the trigger on a set soon. I like the idea of a tire with dual composition, especially since I now live in the land of flat and wide (Texas). Best Regards & Happy Trails..............vk

Then there's the Diablo versus Avon question in regard to profile as well :huh2:

The Avon 45/46 tires look to have a less rounded profile than the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. Looks really close to the Dunlop D220 that I am running. Only way to really find out is to try them. :thumbsup: If anyone wants to donate money to the experiment, I am game. :D

The Avon 45/46 is the tire I would like to try out on the 00 V11 Sport next.

I still love the way the 03 Rosso feels with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires, it is like the bike is on rails. I have 3500 miles on them now and they are wearing very even in the rear. Of cource I also like the turns! :bike:

The Metzeler Sportec M1 and Pirelli Diablo have the same tire profile as the Pirelli Diablo Corsa's. The only difference is the tire compounds. The Sportec M1 tire has always worked well for me, but the Diablo Corsa's feel slightly better. Again, I reccommend these tires for the 02 and newer bikes with the longer wheel base.

Mike

I HAVE A SET OF AVONS ON MY SCURA LOVE THEM THE FIRST SET ONLY WENT 2400 MILES BUT I WENT WITH SP AV49 @AV50 SOFTER COMPOUND MY DAD WENT WITH THE 45@46 THEY SEEM TO WORK WELL ALSO!!!!!

I have Michelin Pilot Roads with just over 1000 miles on them. Original tires came off at about 3500. k

Guest dkgross

I switched to the Pilot Roads from the Dunlops after 6000 miles. BIG difference. I'll try the Avons when these wear out ;)