Tire Question

Guest vkerrigan

I wonder how the Dunlop are doing good on the V11. Many people and tests says the Dunlop are not made to be wear on the V11.

I remember some article on some Italian motor magazine about how bad he Dunlop was on the Daytona and 1100 Sport. Even Ghezzi will never let wearing this tyre on his creations.

About the Pilot Road, this tyre is great! But only for tourism.

I did 16.000 km on this tyre. In the curve is the tyre to generous. I always get wide. I really don’t like this property in a tyre. I really DON’T!

ciao

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The german V11 Forum administrator has the new Continental Roadattack sporttouring tyres and is very satisfied... soft on the edges and hard in the middle... the ideal Sport Touring tyre. The press was also very positive.

roadattack_uv;property=original.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

Guest bshpilot

i enjoy the avons on my zrx...great tire in the rain & dry....knowing

they fit the v11 theyll be the replacement as soon as the OE tires

are gone.

i have found the best price/avail for all my bikes has been from

the guys at TIRES UNLIMITED they will match

prices (although ive found them to be the lowest & IN STOCK

in every situation !

Guest Brian Robson

Tyres unlimited sell a pair of Avon Sp's for $244 US ($332 Canadian). At a dealer in Langley, the same pair is $300 Canadian without shipping and add $20 each wheel for installation.

Do you presume that these mail order places always offer the cheapest prices and are you comfortable giving out credit card info over the phone or the internet?

I talk and buy through local dealers and find that fair prices are commonplace.

It is a personal peeve of mine (amongst millions! :P:P:P) that the mail order route is taken and invariably the customer who uses this option is the guy I am behind at the store going through catalogues for details/prices/specs...the left handed guy who keeps his money in his right hand pocket!

Guest bshpilot

i change and balance my own...i also consider TAX vs. SHIPPING

when EVER i consider buying tires.

i can get mine changed and balanced locally for 15 bucks per tire...

i offered an alternative to retail GOUGEING....you make the choice

and do the homework...

hrmmm, I order extensively via the Internet(mail, phone, etc) and find it to be far more convenient and ultimately effective than wasting hours physically running from store to store looking for that "one evasive part" I need ^_^

YMMV, but my perspective is that many of these shops that have developed an online presence now have increased their customer base, exposure, and sales by many fold over their physical walk-in customers alone.

That being said, if possible, I will opt for a local brick-and-mortar shop if I know they have the parts, and I can get them in an hour versus a week, especially if the savings by Internet ordering is only a couple bucks.

Perhaps I am missing the "angle" of your peeve Brian, and to each their own, but I don't blame the Internet/Telephone sales for putting small fry brick-and-mortar shops out of business... that's evolution(in general), and they simply failed to adapt if so :huh2: ...no one stopped them from setting up an Internet presence to augment and go along with thier physical store.

And I do almost all of my research on the Internet prior to buying anything... :nerd:

al

Guest Brian Robson

There is no angle to my point Al, nor does there have to be one in an observation, but there is a healthier clime to our lives in general the more we develop relationships that come about through interpersonal contact.

Of course I have no beef with local stores that set up internet sites; for them it is sound business sense and will encourage local riders to shop locally.

But there is more to life than saving a few bucks by using a large mail order business three states over, and I fail to see the benefits to the local scene by giving them dollars instead of the businesses that support local riders/clubs and racers.

Obviously we all love to bull---- about motorcycles and especially Guzzi and I'm sure the operator on the other end of a phone line just loves hearing about tip over valves and tyre sizes and I'm sure all of the conversations are thrilling and life affirming.

During similar conversations at a store I am reminded that it is a human being facing me and that his or her attitude good or bad is an attitude worth learning from and has some humour and life to it.

But that experience comes with a price. I would call it a fair fee, while some refer to it a gouging or the quaint "getting ripped off".

there is a healthier clime to our lives in general the more we develop relationships that come about through interpersonal contact.

...I would call it a fair fee, while some refer to it a gouging or the quaint "getting ripped off".

I am becoming increasingly concerned at the frequency with which I find myself in agreement with the Angry One...

KB :sun:

Guest bshpilot

i support local retailers....hell some of my best friends own a shop,

and i give them a fair amount of business knowing they have kids

and electric bills....they offer more than just PRODUCT...and i

am willing to pay extra for their experiance and knowledge

at the same time its my job to be an educated consumer...i do

my homework both for price, avail., reputation and experiance.

its been my experiance that i can buy a SET of tires (front and rear)

for what some local dealers want for the REAR alone....on commodity

items like this i always give the retailer a chance...and the dont have

to match it necessarily to get my business (because i understand

they have families too)

i too have a duty to my family, myself AND my bank account to save

money where i can...

im curious...do you buy gasoline from the cheapest station in town....

by doing so arent you putting the more expensive stations outta business ?

Guest steveguzzi

Hi All, I used Avon Roadrunners in the past, almost exclusively, on my commutes, and liked their long life, no nasty moments in the dry, and only gentle slides when pushed in the wet. I don't hang about when I ride, but do not push as hard as some of you guys I'm sure.

I liked the 020's too, but wanted to try the Avon ST's so I bought a pair and had them fitted and balanced 562 miles ago.

They feel very similar to the 020's,(which is a good thing) they do seem to give slightly quicker steering, dry grip seems no problem, and to date they have not slid in the wet. Our roads have grippy ganite chips as surface dressing, so I can't say what they are like on (normal) wet tarmac. If the rear lasts 6000 miles I will be well pleased as they cost me £245 fitted and balanced :o I run them at 2.2/2.4 bar as per MG recommendation.

Generally I have found it much better to find a dealer who you can trust, and spend your money there. I think you only gain in the long run developing a relationship with them. It's not usually the cheapest way to go.

Cheers,

Steve :bier:

While we were on our BRP trip I had to replace the front tire. I found a Guzzi dealer in Asheville NC www.myersmotorcycle.com

I got a Michelin Pilot Sport 120/70 for $127 and installed for $30 on the bike. I may have been able to get it done for less locally but I would have had to take the wheel to a tire shop. The local shop charges $25 for just the tire labor or $50 if it's on the bike.

Very happy with the deal and service I got at Myers.

Guest Brian Robson

Thank you bshpilot for your somewhat skewed logic. :wacko:

You will have to explain in plain terms the gas station argument though. I buy gas locally and it is not the cheapest, but I want the station to stay open and it is the only way I can help that situation.

As for your duty to your family and saving money, we all have that responsibility but your unique argument is not helped by the expansive vehicular list under your avatar B)B)