2004 cafe sport model …. Question ( please forgive me lol )

arveno

Does the 2004 cafe sport … the model that comes with high bar and Ohlins shocks has single or dual plate clutch?

Not that I want to buy one but just in case I was wondering LOL

thank you 

marco 

The only single plate clutches/ aluminum flywheels are the 2001 Rosso Mandello, and 2002 Scura and Tenni.

The Café Sport is a Coppa Italia in a grey flannel suit with a black Fedora . . .

gallery_25_40676.jpggallery_25_13694.jpg

• Haha 4

Full disclosure: Besides my hi-mile Sport, a Café Sport is the only other V11 I have actually ridden. I did, once, ride an 1100 Sport-i.

You would think those would all be very similar. "Similar", I suppose, but very distinctly different . . .

Quite obviously, I stuck with my RedFrame. :mg:  :race:  :luigi:     :drink:

I think it’s the exact of my 02 Le Mans …. The difference is the handle bars position which I am not familiar with .

I love the bars on the Le Mans .very comfortable for me.

the04 should have a different shift spring, supposedly better that the previous years .

I like the suspension.

but never ridden a spine with Ohlins so don’t know anything about them.

real good improvement??

• Like 2

Yes, the Ohlins are a "real good improvement" especially on a less than perfect surface. As far as I know, the 04 still has the same shift spring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Yes, the Ohlins are a "real good improvement" especially on a less than perfect surface. As far as I know, the 04 still has the same shift spring.

Thank you for you input.

I read somewhere that the transmission on the 04 models had an updated or upgraded shift spring ?

But I could be wrong and if you say they are the same …. I trust you :-)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

My trusty steed is an 04 Cafe Sport, the shift spring originally on the bike is the same offending one that breaks, I went through four of them in about six years before I purchased the upgraded one from Scud some years ago, I purchased two ‘just in case’ but it’s never been an issue since.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Eamonn said:

My trusty steed is an 04 Cafe Sport, the shift spring originally on the bike is the same offending one that breaks, I went through four of them in about six years before I purchased the upgraded one from Scud some years ago, I purchased two ‘just in case’ but it’s never been an issue since.

How many "kays" in those six years/four springs, @Eamonn?

And how many since the SuperSpring solution?

In the six years I did 46,000 kms & since the ‘super spring’ I’ve done about 27,000, & still going strong, the bike’s currently got 83,000kms on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, docc said:

How many "kays" in those six years/four springs, @Eamonn?

And how many since the SuperSpring solution?

I guess KLM's covered isn't the best measure docc. What you want it a bike that's used for suburban commuting with lots of shifter action. 

Phil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I guess KLM's covered isn't the best measure docc. What you want it a bike that's used for suburban commuting with lots of shifter action. 

Phil

Well considered. When my second clutch master cylinder spring fractured into multiple pieces, I tried to conceive how many shift operations it may have sustained.

I gave up on the exercise when the beer ran out . . . :blink:

Perhaps it is valid to think that a particular rider in a given location would have ridden the 4-springs over the 46,000 kays in about the same fashion as the 1-spring lasting 27,000, so far. 

The report also makes me ponder why some mechanisms are so much harder on this spring (multiple failures). And whether a proper application of the Lucky_Phil Shift Improvement is part of the solution . . .

• Like 1

I just think of this stuff docc because I never commute anymore and all the miles I do on cars and bikes are either freeway or country roads pretty much. No point me testing anything in reality. Brakes, tyres, clutches etc last for ever with my vehicles. Maybe wheel bearings I could comment on if you have decades to wait, lol.

Phil

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I just think of this stuff docc because I never commute anymore and all the miles I do on cars and bikes are either freeway or country roads pretty much. No point me testing anything in reality. Brakes, tyres, clutches etc last for ever with my vehicles. Maybe wheel bearings I could comment on if you have decades to wait, lol.

Phil

No worries, mate. I am the poster child for bashing the per-jeepers out of a V11 Sport . . .

I've broken shit that hasn't happened to any other V11.  Not proud of it, more just doing my due diligence at the requisite Beta testing . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1