Transmission Shaft Replacement

Janusz

Hi Guys;

So I am looking at Shop Manual and the first sentence in the "Transmission Shaft" towards the end, section "O" says:

"Replace the shaft with transmission joints every 20,000 Km; if the motorbike is mainly used for racing type driving or usually high speed driving, replace every 15,000 Km."

WHAT???

Is anybody doing this? Did anybody replace the shaft if its not damaged or broken?

My bike is low mileage (47,xxx Km) and just changing tires last week I inspected and greased the shaft which turns smooth and looks like new. According to MG people I should be on my FOURTH shaft (I ride less last 12 years but still "usually high speed driving")

Anybody cares to comment?

Happy Easter everybody!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Front UJ exploded at 30k miles. UJs/shaft had been misaligned from new. Maybe frequent replacement is Guzzi's answer to poor manufacture or mismatch of components at assembly. Good idea to check shaft is correctly aligned.

KB:sun:

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Janusz said:

Hi Guys;

So I am looking at Shop Manual and the first sentence in the "Transmission Shaft" towards the end, section "O" says:

"Replace the shaft with transmission joints every 20,000 Km; if the motorbike is mainly used for racing type driving or usually high speed driving, replace every 15,000 Km."

WHAT???

Is anybody doing this? Did anybody replace the shaft if its not damaged or broken?

My bike is low mileage (47,xxx Km) and just changing tires last week I inspected and greased the shaft which turns smooth and looks like new. According to MG people I should be on my FOURTH shaft (I ride less last 12 years but still "usually high speed driving")

Anybody cares to comment?

Happy Easter everybody!

The best explanation I heard for this section in the manual is that it was cut and pasted from the Daytona manual. IIRC, it was because the Daytona shaft had no means for lubrication.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And make sure the UJ is fully secured to the shaft.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1