Getting keys for Hepco Becker bags

al_roethlisberger

The 1998 EV that I just picked up came with a pair of Hepco Becker bags, but unfortunately did not include any keys for the bags.

I know one can order duplicate keys by knowing the key code stamped on the keys... if one has an original key.  But again, I do not have any keys for the bags.

I probably could pull a cylinder and take it to a locksmith, and they could likely decode the cylinder and potentially cut a new key.

But before I go through that, I wondered if anyone knew if perhaps the HB key code might also be stamped on the cylinder itself somewhere, or there was some other way to figure the code out so I can just order some replacement keys?

...and of course one can order new cylinders and keys, which aren't terribly expensive individually, until one orders SIX of them.... $$$  ;)

You might contact Moto Machines, they're US distribution for HB.  

https://www.motomachines.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlumhBhClARIsABO6p-xhN6YqNUkQCw2wgcOXkySMVD___BG7s92BC6TJzbuQeSMh_jhwCX0aAuwwEALw_wcB

In worst case scenario, order new locks.  I had to replace one due a tip over.  Not a big deal or expense, you'll need to have a hand rivet tool which isn't that expensive either if you don't have a generous neighbor.  

Another hint, if they're Jr bags, dings and bends in the plastic material can easily be worked out with a hot air gun.  Yes, it was quite tip over.  I have to thank Chuck from Ind for his help during that trip.  

Shouldn't be a big deal.

Wait SIX?  OK, can't help ya.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Thanks, I've dropped Moto Machines a "Contact Us" question to see what they recommend.

I'd hate to throw away six perfectly good cylinders, or spend $200+ on a set of locks.  Seems wasteful.

yeah, I was only considering the locks for the brackets that attach to the bike.   So far as the locks on the cases.  One ea should be sufficient.   That will save you two.  They claim for safety reasons that one latch should be locked when you ride.  

My first gen Suzuki DL1000 VStrom lightened my wallet with a few adventures,one of them was trying to obtain 3 keys for the top & side cases.

The oem luggage bags were made by Kappa; a huge manufacturer,as is Suzuki,should've been easy to buy 3 new cylinders/keys,it wasn't.:doh:

Iirc I dropped the luggage off at a local locksmith, he took the locks apart & re-pinned? the cylinders with new keys,it wasn't cheap  :D

I'd shop around for a local locksmith,who hopefully is a bike freak or rider,,,after all,you do have 6 to do,:grin:

53 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

My first gen Suzuki DL1000 VStrom lightened my wallet with a few adventures,one of them was trying to obtain 3 keys for the top & side cases.

The oem luggage bags were made by Kappa; a huge manufacturer,as is Suzuki,should've been easy to buy 3 new cylinders/keys,it wasn't.:doh:

Iirc I dropped the luggage off at a local locksmith, he took the locks apart & re-pinned? the cylinders with new keys,it wasn't cheap  :D

I'd shop around for a local locksmith,who hopefully is a bike freak or rider,,,after all,you do have 6 to do,:grin:

Yeah, my 2012 Wee Strom Adv. came with bag lids not keyed alike with bag bracket locks but Suzuki did include two extra tumblers that were keyed to the lids so all I had to do was swap out the bracket locks.  Why didn't the dealer do it you ask!  Who knows.

Art