Not starting, no neutral light after reinstalling battery

From Moto Guzzi V11 Facebook

Question: Hello everyone, i’m looking for some advise regarding my V11 Le man. It’s a 2005 model. I took the battery out for the winter and today decided to put it back in. It was a new battery and it had about 12.2 V in it, after putting it on the trickle feed it started to increase. The battery is less than a year old. When i turned the ignition nothing was happening only the dash lights were company on and the red light. The neutral light wasn’t coming on either. When i hit start button it doesn’t even click. I looked at the relay and they all seemed in order. Connection were clean no issue. Bike was running fine when i put it into hibernation for the winter. If anyone can point me in the direction of the fix for this i would appreciate it. 
Answer 1: Charge battery and check the voltage drop when you turn the ignition on. Age of battery does not really indicate battery health. Had some last 1 year, some 7. The smaller motorcycle batteries are always more fickle than car batteries.
Answer 2: Fuse box often suffers
Answer 3: With the neutral light not coming on, that should give you a clue. Not sure if the side stand switch will give you that symptom, but I would start there, remove wires and jump out to eliminate. That issue would not be the battery, you should at least hear a click if the battery was weak. Again, neutral light is not on…..
Answer 4: The relays are interchangeable .You can swap them but you won't have some of the lights. The starter relay has an extra post .You can put the Starter relay in any other position though. You can replace all the others with the Starter relay ,then you can swap them and everything will still work as it should.
Answer 5: If the neutral light isn't on I'd try to find neutral with the green light. I've had false neutral/neutral without that light on. I've also had trouble with the earth strap that secures to the rhs transmission case (oil migrates up the bolt & insulates the earth).
Answer 6: Make sure you have a good ground from your rectifier case to your engine case. I added a jumper wire and it has cured a lot of starting issues on my V11
Answer 7: Check the gear selector switch and side sand switch. I had a problem once after standing over winter with the side stand switch. Also as suggested rotate or refit the relays. Sometimes they don’t get a good connection. Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on with clutch pulled in?

Been a few times mentioned here about forgetting a groud cable to the battery.  Check of battery, short wire connected to the solenoid and hit the + wire. Don't think you need to pull the clutch to hear the pump. Do you hear the pump ?

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

Are you disengaging the clutch (holding the lever in) to start? There is a clutch safety lock-out switch. Those "bullet connectors" are suspect when there is absolutely zero response to the start attempt.

Are you attempting the start with the sidestand up or down? Yes, no Neutral light could mean it is in gear or between gears and not actually in neutral.

What battery are you using? An OEM Odyssey PC545 is deeply discharged at 12.2 volts and will require conditioning. A low amp "trickle charger" will not charge it. Must be 6 amps or more to actually charge a PC545.

• Like 1

If there is no neutral light showing, whether correctly or incorrectly, the clutch would have to be pulled in to get it to try to start as if the system thinks you are in gear (and if there is no neutral light lit it thinks you are in gear) the clutch lever must be pulled in to attempt to start (especially with the side stand down). And if the clutch switch doesn't work, as docc mentioned the connectors can be funny, it may not know you pulled the clutch in and still not try to start.

Of course, if you replaced the battery it is certainly possible you missed re-installing one or more wires or got something wrong.

Pulling in the clutch and / or putting up the side stand takes being in neutral out of the equation, as long as your clutch switch and side stand switch works. I would try both at the same time, sit on the bike with the side stand up and the clutch pulled in and try to start it.

• Like 3