wanted

andy york

I've never been very fond of the "Form Follows Function" aesthetic of the MPH risers. I suppose they would just "disappear from the eye" after a time . . .

RiserHandlebarGuzzi1.jpg

The Mototec are very elegant, on the other hand . . .

p1000260.jpg

• Like 2

You’re right @docc, the MPH risers look a bit agricultural where the machining of the Mototec is very refined. 

The Mototec’s seem to be a whole clip-ons set opposed to just bolt-on risers using the original bars. It also looks like they might need the forks to be raised in order to mount them above the clamps.

14 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

You’re right @docc, the MPH risers look a bit agricultural where the machining of the Mototec is very refined. 

The Mototec’s seem to be a whole clip-ons set opposed to just bolt-on risers using the original bars. It also looks like they might need the forks to be raised in order to mount them above the clamps.

All of the LongFrame LeMans already have the clip-ons above the upper triple clamp, yes?

Seems the Mototec can be mounted below, as well. (Which reveals the later V11 fork clearance above the triple) . . .

p1000230.jpg

4 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

The Mototec’s seem to be a whole clip-ons set opposed to just bolt-on risers.

Yes

4 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

...they might need the forks to be raised in order to mount them above the clamps.

No, because docc is right (again...)

4 hours ago, docc said:

All of the LongFrame LeMans already have the clip-ons above the upper triple clamp...

...the Mototec can be mounted below, as well.

so all the bases are covered.

I don't have those bars, but according to the web-site, they are built so that they can be moved from above the triple-clamp to below in a matter of minutes.

What I don't know is if they will fit all V11 Models, or only from the Le Mans onwards.

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

I don't have those bars, but according to the web-site, they are built so that they can be moved from above the triple-clamp to below in a matter of minutes.

What I don't know is if they will fit all V11 Models, or only from the Le Mans onwards.

I reckon they would only fit the early V11 Sport/RM mounted below the triple clamp as the early Marzocchi forks do not extend above as the later V11 do.

I have a pair of ROX for Andy if he wants them . . .

1 minute ago, docc said:

I reckon they would only fit the early V11 Sport/RM mounted below the triple clamp as the early Marzocchi forks do not extend above as the later V11 do.

Yes, but I was thinking more about the fork diameter. :huh2:

12 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Yes, but I was thinking more about the fork diameter. :huh2:

IIRC, the diameter of the fork sliders changed (increased) between early and later V11, but the clip-on/triple tree clamping diameter remained unchanged. Just from memory: 53mm? Not at all sure if memory serves there, but pretty sure the upper diameter of various V11 forks are the same.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, docc said:

All of the LongFrame LeMans already have the clip-ons above the upper triple clamp, yes?

I think so, yes. One thing to know is that the factory clip-ons mounted above the T-clamp are very shallow with only one pinch bolt and most aftermarket clips are taller. The point I was trying to make is that depending on your forks setup, you might have to raise the fork legs to accommodate for the difference.

On the earlier models with the top of the fork tubes flush with the top of the upper T-clamp, if the intent is to raise the bars, they would need to be mounted above the T-clamp and you would definitely have to raise the fork legs a significant amount which would change the bike’s geometry and disrupt its balance.

None of that jazz with the MPH risers, they can be bolted directly to the factory clips, whether mounted above or below the T-clamp, no need to mess with the forks. They even allow for a bit of fore and aft adjustment and come with longer hydraulic lines. In most cases, when the bars are raised, longer clutch and brake lines are most certainly needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the DHS Mototecs on my Lemans, they were installed by the original owner.  They were mounted above the top clamp and I believe that the steering geometry has changed slightly as a result but not enough that handling issues are evident to me.  And, the bike is slightly more upright when on the side stand.  Since getting the bike I have moved them as far aft and up as I could, it is more comfortable than before but I'm only good for 45min to an hour before I have to get off & stretch.  I am currently contemplating getting longer brake/clutch lines, adapter harness to extend hbar switch wiring & throt cable so I can move the risers further aft (and up).   It would be a winter project though.

Art

• Like 1

Added the MPH riser kit to my 2000 V11 Sport two years ago. They work well. They are pretty solid due to the "agricultural" look. Most difficult part was bleeding clutch slave cylinder. Somewhere on this forum I read about leaving the reservoir about half full for proper expansion. Worked great. Also installed speed bleeders, very handy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1