Front driveshaft protection collars: no differences

docc

28 minutes ago, docc said:

..the driveshaft pinch bolts ...can easily cross-thread going back in....

Yes, I'm aware of that. One has to be absolutely sure that the bolt lines up with the thin spot on the shaft. :)

• Like 1

I measured a set I bought off Pinwall a while back, and they are the same measurement as yours Docc. Listed as 2001 V11, so it must be true. (short frame)

Paul B:bier:

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone, for the input. When I first considered this, I thought, "Man if these are different I will have solved the Farking Front Uni Mystery ! I will be crowned Wizard DeLuxe ! "

Alas, no crown . . .  :mellow:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yesterday I read through two very long threads here. What I noticed is that practically no-one stipulates whether they had or have the bike on the side-stand or on some kind of lift.

For the record: my V11 Le Mans, built in 2002, long tank, wrinkle paint on the motor, black gauges, was on a Becker lifter when I was looking at the front grease nipple situation. So the back wheel was off the ground, and the angle of the front uni-joint was as "open" as it can get without undoing screws. I had the feeling that I maybe could have got onto the front nipple. Grease gun has a straight connector, but a flexible hose. In the end, I decided not to pursue it. Taking out the wheel is a good idea anyway, as there are a couple of other things that would benefit from being looked at.

@docc, the collar in your photo doesn't seem to have any holes in the sides of it. Mine does, such that I could probably undo the pinch bolts without removing the collar.

I'll be in the garage later, and will try and measure the collar in situ, but don't really expect to see numbers different from what has already been quoted here.

A thought came to me: maybe the collar is the same, but Guzzi used a different nipple on earlier models compared to the later ones. I.e. they figured out it was a bastard to get to, and changed to a different nipple. :huh2:

When I tackled the U joint grease nipples,the bike was up on a lift,the rear wheel removed and the bike supported by a wheel chock,Becker & scissor jack lifts.

Do the front bolt on the reaction control arm while the rear wheel is off; major pita doing it with the wheel installed,btdt. :homer:

I know there's a wheel's off checklist;just off the top off my head,I'd be checking the brake caliper,possibly bleed it & the clutch,might consider installing a remote clutch bleeder.

Idk if there were changes in the spec or design of the collars & nipples; but I'm sure that subtle differences from different suppliers over the model years may have an effect IRL for the end user. fwiw 

good luck

17 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

Idk if there were changes in the spec or design of the collars & nipples; but I'm sure that subtle differences from different suppliers over the model years may have an effect IRL for the end user. fwiw 

good luck

Pretty sure this requires no "moderation", just clarification:  "Collars and Nipples " can mean more than one thing, but we are talking motorcycle parts, here.

No, really! :luigi:  :grin:  :huh:

• Haha 2

• docc changed the title to Front driveshaft protection collars: no differences