Front driveshaft protection collars: no differences

docc

Does anyone have a loose front driveshaft protection collar from a later V11 LongFrame [eg:  01 35 86 40 ] to measure the inside diameter?

My early ShortFrame collar [ GU04358600 ] measures 65 mm . . .

IMG_0393.jpg

32 minutes ago, docc said:

Does anyone have a loose front driveshaft protection collar from a later V11 LongFrame [eg:  01 35 86 40 ] to measure the inside diameter?

My early ShortFrame collar [ GU04358600 ] measures 65 mm . . .

IMG_0393.jpg

Why the question docc? Just the p/n difference?

Phil

24 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Why the question docc? Just the p/n difference?

Phil

Unfortunately, color changes make the p/n different. Even the early V11 differs between silver (Sport) and black (Rosso Mandello).

Oh, no, I am after a resolution of a long, evasive V11 mystery . . .

1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

ID 65.8mm on 2003 model rear collar

Focused on the front collar

I was so excited about the possibility of finally finding the elusive reason why the Short Frame front U-joint is SO IMPOSSIBLE to approach.

It occurred to me that, if the later front collars are a larger ID, that would be the difference. If not, The enigma remains . . . :wacko:

• Like 1

What about the length of the front driveshaft protective collar?

My early V11 front driveshaft protective collar is 64.4 - 64.8mm (+/-) . . .

4 hours ago, docc said:

Focused on the front collar

I was so excited about the possibility of finally finding the elusive reason why the Short Frame front U-joint is SO IMPOSSIBLE to approach.

It occurred to me that, if the later front collars are a larger ID, that would be the difference. If not, The enigma remains . . . :wacko:

The only differences between the short and long frame bikes in that area that I'm aware of is the added gearbox mount arms and the larger dia swingarm pivot boss threads. It's possible that the bikes have slightly different ride heights and therefore slightly different front universal joint angles. A slight change in the universal joint angle may make a big difference in getting the grease fitting to attach. Just a thought.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha, well, I struck out. It occurred to me that if the later front collars were a few mm shorter, or larger diameter, that would account for the enigmatic difference in access.

Perhaps there is no difference at all, but we have just repeated it so much that it seems real . . . :wacko:

Yesterday I read through two very long threads here. What I noticed is that practically no-one stipulates whether they had or have the bike on the side-stand or on some kind of lift.

For the record: my V11 Le Mans, built in 2002, long tank, wrinkle paint on the motor, black gauges, was on a Becker lifter when I was looking at the front grease nipple situation. So the back wheel was off the ground, and the angle of the front uni-joint was as "open" as it can get without undoing screws. I had the feeling that I maybe could have got onto the front nipple. Grease gun has a straight connector, but a flexible hose. In the end, I decided not to pursue it. Taking out the wheel is a good idea anyway, as there are a couple of other things that would benefit from being looked at.

@docc, the collar in your photo doesn't seem to have any holes in the sides of it. Mine does, such that I could probably undo the pinch bolts without removing the collar.

I'll be in the garage later, and will try and measure the collar in situ, but don't really expect to see numbers different from what has already been quoted here.

A thought came to me: maybe the collar is the same, but Guzzi used a different nipple on earlier models compared to the later ones. I.e. they figured out it was a bastard to get to, and changed to a different nipple. :huh2:

• Like 2

My collar has the holes, just not visible in the view. 

Over the years, I have tried every conceivable way to get at the front U-joint. I did, finally, succeed using the 180 degree swivel tip that @80CX100 posted and approaching from in front of the swingarm. I find it helpful to loosen the tip slightly so it snaps on (and off) the Zerk more easily.

FWIW, I would avoid undoing the driveshaft pinch bolts as they can easily cross-thread going back in. My driveshaft failure experience is something I do not want to repeat . . .