Fuel level sensor

Yam350

My fuel level sensor is broken and it looks like the oem part is unavailable……has anyone found an alternative that works? I don’t mind having to replace the electrical connection to the bike. 

10 minutes ago, Yam350 said:

My fuel level sensor is broken and it looks like the oem part is unavailable……has anyone found an alternative that works? I don’t mind having to replace the electrical connection to the bike. 

I suppose you have made certain the fuel sensor is the root cause of the problem.

I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153094025684

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yam350 said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It’s definitely the sender that’s the problem. I’ll take a look at your suggestions.

The Panasonic seems to be unavailable everywhere I looked.

However, I found some US companies having it in their listing, with a zero stock. If you can't find anything else, one of these company is in Texas, and I could try to check with them.

I would not get my hopes up though. It is easy to understand this product is obsolete.

Refrigerators use thermistors still; not that kind though. But there maybe a possibility to fix it?

Thanks again for your efforts, apparently Ducati, Aprilia, and even Fiat use the same unit so I can widen the search. To be honest I’d be happy with an old school fuel tap with reserve as I don’t like relying on the light.

• Like 1

Here's the Mouser company link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERT-LG12N714T?qs=TI15CVqcli2ywRPZTXVDGQ%3D%3D

They are located in Mansfield Texas around the Dallas / Forth Worth area.

From the look of it, they are whole seller, but you never know.

@LowRyter I have used the actual mileage to refuel during each of my outings. Only at home do I ride till the low fuel light comes on before I refuel. If my thermistor was to fail, other than disturbing my sense of having the bike is proper order, it would not be a big deal.

My way of riding the V11 is predictable so I know how far I can go between refills. Besides, with the kind of sun light we have here, depending time and orientation, that light can be invisible.

5 hours ago, Yam350 said:

My fuel level sensor is broken and it looks like the oem part is unavailable…

What is broken? If it's the wires at the base of the sensor,  then it can be fixed. I pulled Cash1000's sensor apart, and dug out the resin potting compound to expose 2 terminals in the base. I crimped copper sleeves over the terminals & shortened wires (they were too long anyway) then repotted the cavity with epoxy. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yam350 said:

What model is your bike? the external pump types are a bit of an issue. No new units available and the old units tend to go High resistance when they get old. The thermistor is easily available but almost impossible to replace and the methodology for it retention is quite fiddley and more complex then it appears. Old units also have a habit of being impossible to get to reseal 100% once they have been removed. I have replace my sensor with a blanking plug until I get a chance to manufacture a new aluminium and HDPE probe holder. The thermistor is no issue to source but you also need fuel proof wiring and potting compound. I have a design and materials but need some spare time.

Here is one thermistor option although a rip off cost wise. Strangely even the Chinese ebay equivalents are really expensive as well although if you by them in bulk from a Chinese manufacturer they are literally a $1.20 each or something.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/sensor-low-fuel-level-warning-sensor-mounted-to/107413

Phil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

Yea thats them Pete. I'm a member of that mob but every time I try buying something it gets rejected. Not sure why. On the early bikes with the stick sensor you need to remove the ground wire and somehow uncrimp the holder and connect the wires internally and avoid the possibility of shorting out. Then you need to get the thing to seal fuel again around the nut and tank fitting. I suspect the plastic holder gets old and even with a new seal it wouldn't hold fuel and seeped after about 2 hours. 

Phil

Yes, one of the wires has broken just where they disappear into the epoxy. I’ve managed to dremel the epoxy out and solder the wire back together, and then filled it with new epoxy. I’ve yet to test it but at the moment it seems I’ve been lucky as it’s not leaking! 
I’d still like a new one though because if my repair fails the first I’ll know about it is when I run out of petrol.

• Like 3