14-Oct-2023 Annular eclipse as seen from Houston TX at around 12:00 Local Time.

The perfect annular view was only possible from San Antonio TX....

20231014 Annular Eclipse direct view

The photo below shows the sun rays shadowed by the moon as they reflect on the ground. Really amazing!

projection of the eclipse on ground

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice! 
We went out about the same time in S. Florida, got about a half cover. I bought some pairs of welding goggles back for the last complete eclipse 5 or 6 years ago, drug them out again today. No pics, though. I forgot about the weird shadows, a total eclipse is some spooky weirdness. No wonder the oldsters used them to terrify the masses. 

17 hours ago, audiomick said:

That is a truly fascinating photo. :)

Indeed! all the shadows were distorted in very strange ways because of the moon... this was the first time I became aware of that.

16 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Nice! 
We went out about the same time in S. Florida, got about a half cover. I bought some pairs of welding goggles back for the last complete eclipse 5 or 6 years ago, drug them out again today. No pics, though. I forgot about the weird shadows, a total eclipse is some spooky weirdness. No wonder the oldsters used them to terrify the masses. 

I purchased a welder's mask spare lens, and taped it to a piece of flat cardboard; unfortunately, the filtering changes the color, so I could not take pics through it.

I thought about the effect it had back in the middle ages... yes, it would have been easy to scare people with the last judgement day!