Won't go

cash1000

All packed ready to go the Tattly Rappit rally(NZ Moto Guzzi rally) and RM won't got. Fuel pump & starter motor not working. Ran fine on sunday. Washed it after ride. Had on trickle charge since then. Battery has 13v. Lights indicators horn work. Checked fuses Battery terminals. Thoughts?

Check relay 5.     2 connectors under the front of fuse box feeds relay.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

RM goes now. I've had it sitting in sun for last hour. Picking maybe water in electrics has dried out. Any way off to rally

What's my first rule about troubleshooting before you do anything else. Ask yourself the question "what was the last thing I did before the issue arose"? Wash the bike? fuel the bike? Have the seat off? replace the battery? You get the idea.

Phil

• Like 2

I don't know for sure, but just had a quick look at the circuit diagram.

It seems that the fuel pump gets its power from the ECU, so the ECU needs to be getting power (as far as I can tell at a quick glance).

Looking at this sketch that I "extracted" from the circuit diagram:

large.Starter_circuit.jpg

The ECU Relay gets its activating current from the same circuit as the relay that activates the starter motor, but before the starter switch and clutch switch.

Assuming that yours is the same in that respect as mine, I would

check that the kill switch isn't turned off  :whistle:

then look at the side stand switch and neutral switch, and the relay that the neutral switch closes (the third relay, i.e. the one in the middle).

And the ECU relay itself. That should be the fourth from the front, I believe.

I hope you make it to the rally. The Tattly Rappit is famous... :)

EDIT: I just noticed that this topic was posted twice, and in the other iteration you have already written that the bike is going again. Have fun at the rally.

10 minutes ago, audiomick said:

The ECU Relay gets its activating current from the same circuit as the relay that activates the starter motor, but before the starter switch and clutch switch.

Assuming that yours is the same in that respect as mine, I would check that the kill switch isn't turned off  :whistle:

then look at the side stand switch and neutral switch, and the relay that the neutral switch closes (the third relay, i.e. the one in the middle).

And the ECU relay itself. That should be the fourth from the front, I believe.

I hope you make it to the rally. The Tattly Rappit is famous... :)

EDIT: I just noticed that this topic was posted twice, and in the other iteration you have already written that the bike is going again. Have fun at the rally.

This!

[Combined replies to one thread. Looking forward to the Tattly Rappit report, with "Pics from Down Under"" @cash1000!]

Thanks docc. :)

@cash1000 : I would strongly recommend checking all those points that I mentioned when you get home. Given that the problem was apparently caused by washing the bike, I reckon you might have a latent problem that bears the potential to cause the bike to go on strike should you get caught in the rain on a ride.

I don't know about you, but I'm not all that keen on that sort of funny buggers. B)

• Like 1

I'm thinking kill switch is cause of problem. I will give it a clean when I'm home. Im not tempting fate by working on it while on trip. Bike didn't miss a beat today. Traveled 400k home to Dunedin via some back roads. Off to rally tomorrow in Alexandra which is about 200ks away.

• Like 4