SS2 Camshaft

Yam350

Muzzi Moto here in the uk are offering performance camshafts ( SS2 ) that I believe were originally developed by Raceco. Has anyone tried one of these newly available cams or the original Raceco items. Is it a worthwhile upgrade, and would any other mods be required to get the benefit of it? 

To be honest I don't think there is an awful lot of point in trying to increase the performance of the V11 donk. It was the final iteration of the single spark pushrod motor, it used the same profile cam as the earlier 'Production Racers' which are very similar if not identical to the B10 or 'K' cam profile. It's warmed up about as much as it can be without beginning to compromise reliability and in reality a V11 never was, and certainly isn't any more, a 'Contemporary Sports Bike'.

Oh there are some 'Hot' V11's out there. The 'Mighty Scura' I bought from a bloke here, then sold to Chuck and it has now passed on to another owner here, is a stupidly 'Big' engined motorbike but it has a whole raft of modifications including pistons, a lot of headwork, maybe a cam, I'm not sure? Anyway that thing is a beast, but it's the sum of its parts not the result of a simple drop-in cam. 

You also need to consider that if you change the breathing of the motor you will need to alter the fueling. While this is now possible a lot easier and more accurately now the mapping is an open book so you no longer have to depend on crude devices like Power Commanders it will still require considerable work, and I'd be extremely wary of any map supplied to be used in conjunction with the cam change because such things are usually a crude 'One size fits all' solution and often just involve flinging a whole load more fuel everywhere just 'Because'. Hopeless.

A correctly tuned and mapped V11 is a lovely thing. Any performance gains you can achieve, even with something as radical as the aforementioned 'Mighty Scura' are really pretty much academic. Sure, if you want to pursue that rabbit hole by all means do, but a cam alone won't do a lot and it's very easy to start haemorrhaging money like there's no tomorrow if you do. Believe me. I've done it!:grin:

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, pete roper said:

A correctly tuned and mapped V11 is a lovely thing.

That is a beautiful statement, especially considering the source. :bier:

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply Pete. I suspected any gain wouldn’t really reflect the amount of effort required……I’ll leave well alone!

The SS2 wasn't much better than what is in the Sport 1100's.Amedeo of Raceco developed another more radical profile for these bikes .He's on facebook so he might be willing to let you in what they were profiled at.

I built the motor in my '85 LeMans 1000; famous for not-city-friendly drivability stock, but pretty quick. I added a half-point of compression, stupid good ported heads and a Web 86b camshaft that took more shade-tree engineering to fit than anything I'd done by myself previously. It is absolutely glorious to ride. Perfect throttling from idle, smooth power from 2k rpm up (although you can over carburet it at low RPM if you try) and fast as F**k, boiii... 

At the end of the day, it's a little smoother, a little more docile, and just enough faster than my stock-with-pipes and MyECU 1100 Sport-i to say it's a certainty. Not enough difference to spend any time or money making the 'Sport any faster or more drivable- which by the way, is nearly impossible to improve both at the same time on a bike that was pretty fast and drivable to begin with. My reading says that Crane Cams designed the lobes in the 'Sport, and I've dealt with them for decades long enough to know that what's in there is the best balance between power and drivability, within the confines of durability. 

• Like 4