Fuel economy variatons with different fuels

On 11/16/2023 at 1:10 AM, ScuRoo said:

That ethanol helps those fossil fuel resources last a little longer …

Ya think? 

Prouty is an interesting crank, it doesn't mean he's wrong.  I learned of him reading about the Kennedy assassination.  He was the inspiration for the Donald Sutherland character in the movie.   

So far as whether oil is organic or inorganic, I'm clueless.  I've talked to petroleum geologists.  Their entire theory is that it's an organic "fossil" and the depth and location determines the actual age of the substance.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I misstated it.  In a practical sense, it really doesn't matter what origin of it really is. 

Where the guy is right is regarding the "scarcity" and economics of it.  We all know it's largely controlled by OPEC and the oil companies.  It appears we will run out of use for it as a fuel before we literally run out of it, given the cheap availability of sustainable power coming on line.   He makes another point about other commodities as well.  Given that he was talking about economic and geopolitical policies in the 1970's, he's been proven correct.  

On 11/26/2023 at 12:05 AM, LowRyter said:

Where the guy is right is regarding the "scarcity" and economics of it.  We all know it's largely controlled by OPEC and the oil companies.  It appears we will run out of use for it as a fuel before we literally run out of it, given the cheap availability of sustainable power coming on line.   He makes another point about other commodities as well.  Given that he was talking about economic and geopolitical policies in the 1970's, he's been proven correct.  

Yup

It’s been recently discovered an estimated one trillion cubic feet of natural gas 30km off the shore in the Gaza Marine field.

Clearly

There’s no such thing as a coincidence

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, audiomick said:

Why?

I know what the Wiki is and how reliable it is as source. For a quick look it is good enough for most things. :huh2:

Wiki is one of the first places I go to when I want to do initial research or understanding.   There you can find cited original sources if you want to go deeper.  It's open sourced and publicly reviewed.  

I'm not sure why it gets so much flak.  Perhaps it's because wiki is a culmination of many primary sources and therefore in itself cannot be accepted as primary research for schools and academics.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

Wiki is one of the first places I go to when I want to do initial research or understanding.   There you can find cited original sources if you want to go deeper.  It's open sourced and publicly reviewed.  

I'm not sure why it gets so much flak.  Perhaps it's because wiki is a culmination of many primary sources and therefore in itself cannot be accepted as primary research for schools and academics.  

I too use Wiki for basic knowledge. It is actually a good source. But some people like to dismiss it because it doesn't agree with their version of facts. But it is publicly reviewed, if someone posts info there that is wrong someone will flag it as wrong and it will be corrected. People like to do that.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I too use Wiki for basic knowledge. It is actually a good source. But some people like to dismiss it because it doesn't agree with their version of facts. But it is publicly reviewed, if someone posts info there that is wrong someone will flag it as wrong and it will be corrected. People like to do that.

I only read anti Wiki stuff from people that peddle "alternative facts".  

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/41889

IMG_6179.jpeg

Abiogenic Deep Origin of Hydrocarbons and Oil and Gas Deposits Formation

"The theory of the abiogenic deep origin of hydrocarbons recognizes that the petroleum is a primordial material of deep origin [Kutcherov, Krayushkin 2010]. This theory explains that hydrocarbon compounds generate in the asthenosphere of the Earth & migrate through the deep faults into the crust of the Earth. There they form oil & gas deposits in any kind of rock in any kind of the structural position (Fig. 1). Thus the accumulation of oil & gas is considered as a part of the natural process of the Earth’s outgrassing, responsible for creation of its hydrosphere, atmosphere & biosphere. Until recently the obstacle to accept the theory of the abyssal abiogenic origin of hydrocarbons was the lack of the reliable & reproducible experimental results confirming the possibility of the synthesis of complex hydrocarbon systems under the conditions of the asthenosphere of planet earth."

55 minutes ago, ScuRoo said:

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/41889

IMG_6179.jpeg

Abiogenic Deep Origin of Hydrocarbons and Oil and Gas Deposits Formation

"The theory of the abiogenic deep origin of hydrocarbons recognizes that the petroleum is a primordial material of deep origin [Kutcherov, Krayushkin 2010]. This theory explains that hydrocarbon compounds generate in the asthenosphere of the Earth & migrate through the deep faults into the crust of the Earth. There they form oil & gas deposits in any kind of rock in any kind of the structural position (Fig. 1). Thus the accumulation of oil & gas is considered as a part of the natural process of the Earth’s outgrassing, responsible for creation of its hydrosphere, atmosphere & biosphere. Until recently the obstacle to accept the theory of the abyssal abiogenic origin of hydrocarbons was the lack of the reliable & reproducible experimental results confirming the possibility of the synthesis of complex hydrocarbon systems under the conditions of the asthenosphere of planet earth."

So it isn't "dinosaur juice"?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2023 at 12:35 AM, GuzziMoto said:

So it isn't "dinosaur juice"?

No. Soon will begin your journey  

‘Superstition is like a magnet. It pulls you in the direction of your belief.’ -Master Po

• Sad 1

Pretty sure this thread is (d)evolving into a "banter" topic that has little to nothing to do with V11 24/7 . . . :mg:

Might remain "interesting", but might get moved. Might find itself "elsewhere." <_<

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

No. Soon will begin your journey  

‘Superstition is like a magnet. It pulls you in the direction of your belief.’ -Master Po

I have to comment on this.

Willie Soon takes the fact that some hydrocarbons have a non biological source as evidence that burning it does not cause climate change. He knows he is wrong, but is funded by Exxon Mobil, among others, to tell lies to gullible people.

Tucker Carlson is a well-known purveyor of "alternative facts" otherwise known as BS.

A better source of information is the NASA website.

https://climate.nasa.gov/

• Like 1
On 11/27/2023 at 8:51 AM, LowRyter said:

Man, I see this guy Bill Ackman was going after acemendicians he didn't like by checking them for plagiarism.   Now we find out his wife's academic papers have copy and paste Wiki passages with no citations.  :rolleyes:

Wiki is that good.  :D

Of course, there's always Tucker.  :blink: