Gearbox query….

Gritman

On 1/31/2024 at 10:39 PM, Gritman said:

.. replacing the stock metalastic bushed torque reaction bar with a rose-jointed item...

What brand is that?

I don't want to alarm you, but there was one on the German market at the time that was very prone to giving up the ghost.

Let me know the brand, and I'll go looking in the German forum for where I read about it. Maybe it is the same one, maybe not. :huh2:

• Like 1

Gritman, I can't tell from the photo are you using some bracing for the transmission? 

8 hours ago, audiomick said:

What brand is that?

I don't want to alarm you, but there was one on the German market at the time that was very prone to giving up the ghost.

Let me know the brand, and I'll go looking in the German forum for where I read about it. Maybe it is the same one, maybe not. :huh2:

Thanks for your input, I don’t think it’s one of them🤞it is a Guzzi Daytona item with new rose joints, but thank you anyway. 

….and Kevin, the transmission is stock - except for the torque rod. It looks a bit different as the swingarm is nickel plated. Maybe it’s that?

• Like 1

Hi @docc going back to your frame enquiry, it is a Centauro frame but it’s had the ‘Raceco chop’ which reduces the rake by 1.5 degrees. I can’t measure the wheelbase atm as the engine is out! I wanted something a bit more nimble than the usual spine frame, hence the chop and Dymags. The handling is certainly lighter and turn-in is sharper, so some satisfaction that time and money was well-spent 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the input/support/kind comments chaps😊 The gearbox is now reassembled and ready to reunite with the engine - when I return from my winter hols ☀️. Need them solar rays!

Its been a learning experience and I’m a little disappointed that the backlash issue seems to be a ‘box feature. I’ll have to pay extra attention to matching road and engine speed…

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2024 at 12:38 AM, docc said:

Very interesting bike! Nicely done, Sir! :thumbsup:

I am curious about the wheelbase and fork rake of the Centauro frame (?)

BTW, you can create an Album in Member Galleries to share more pics of your bikes without the resizing issue . .

Hey @docc the wheelbase is 1433mm , rake 22 degrees 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:52 AM, Gritman said:

Hi @docc going back to your frame enquiry, it is a Centauro frame but it’s had the ‘Raceco chop’ which reduces the rake by 1.5 degrees. I can’t measure the wheelbase atm as the engine is out! I wanted something a bit more nimble than the usual spine frame, hence the chop and Dymags. The handling is certainly lighter and turn-in is sharper, so some satisfaction that time and money was well-spent 😊

3 hours ago, Gritman said:

Hey @docc the wheelbase is 1433mm , rake 22 degrees 

Seems a 1.5º chop on a Centauro frame would make 25º? :huh2:

That’s what I thought @docc, but the protractor says otherwise!

• Like 1

The frame was another saga… initially I used an early v11 frame with German papers that I sent off to have the Raceco chop and built the bike around that, but when it came to registering the machine, it meant it would have to go through Single Vehicle Approval - a torturous exercise in British bureaucracy that could fail at any one of a number of pinch points and would result in a Q plate registration, identifying it as a ‘kit’ vehicle…. So I sourced a Centauro frame with papers, repeated the Raceco chop and rebuilt the bike which then just needed the engine no change to register it! So I have a spare frame that I should advertise on here. A member based in Germany could make use of it perhaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gritman said:

... a spare frame ... A member based in Germany could make use of it perhaps.

Difficult if it has been modiified, unless the mod is absolutely invisible. The powers that be are quite allergic to mods on frames, over and above maybe removing a tag for something that isn't mounted any more, or shortening the rails behind the rear shock mount on a Tonti frame. If they were to get wind of a headstock mod, they'd have kittens for sure. :huh2:

You forgot the dots.

TÜV.

If the keyboard doesn't have the appropriate key, the correct form is "TUEV". That is a pretty good approximation of how it is pronounced, too. The sound of the the "ü" (as well as the "ö" and the "ä") doesn't exist in english. It has to be learned, and after nearly 30 years here, I still don't consistently hear the difference to "u", "o" and "a".

Other than that, and the ramdon gender of articles, german is a pretty cool language. Very precise. B)

But yes, the TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ and KÜS are the businesses that carry out the bi-annual inspection, and the ones the have the kittens. :grin:

The TÜV is the most common in what was formerly West Germany, and having the inspection done is commonly referred to, approximately, as "getting the TÜV". :)

• Like 1

The last post was from my phone @audiomick and that doesn’t offer an umlaut - as I believe it is called from my vague memory of school German . I’ll use the old frame as an aide memoire for checking stuff out before committing resources!

9 hours ago, Gritman said:

an umlaut - as I believe it is called from my vague memory of school German

Yep, that's right. :)