Shift Problems

LowRyter

The travel of the selector arm in both directions is adjusted with the eccentric adjuster, I’ve seen cases where the arm travel hits the inside of the casing which causes false neutrals, 

• Like 2

I thinking this is beyond what I might do on the garage floor.  I don't want to ride it, so to prevent further damage.  I might be able to get to the shop in a month or so once the wife is mobile.  Thanks for your help.  I'll let you all know how it shakes out.

• Like 1

Do let us know mate...

Mine was sorted years ago as the bike was serviced by Brad Black and hasn't missed a beat since.

Probably will now that I've mentioned it eh!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:37 PM, docc said:

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 10.58.25 AM.png

OK, I've gotten this, with the starter hanging.  What I noticed is that the pivot nut (about 2 o'clock from the red circle) is loose as hech with a lot of play.  It appears the nut screws into a pin that attached the adjustable screw arm to the pivot arm below.  The problem I'm having, the pin just turns with the nut and there's nothing to garb on the back of the pin.  The only way to get behind it is move the lever in the upshift position but there is still nothing to grab the back since it seems to be a smooth pinhead.

Perhaps it's supposed to have this much slack?   and I should mess with something else?

OK, looking at Harper's diagram, I see it's a screw and appears to be an allen head.  So perhaps I can get an all wrench to hold it while I tighten the nut?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

OK, I've gotten this, with the starter hanging.  What I noticed is that the pivot nut (about 2 o'clock from the red circle) is loose as hech with a lot of play.  It appears the nut screws into a pin that attached the adjustable screw arm to the pivot arm below.  The problem I'm having, the pin just turns with the nut and there's nothing to garb on the back of the pin.  The only way to get behind it is move the lever in the upshift position but there is still nothing to grab the back since it seems to be a smooth pinhead.

Perhaps it's supposed to have this much slack?   and I should mess with something else?

OK, looking at Harper's diagram, I see it's a screw and appears to be an allen head.  So perhaps I can get an all wrench to hold it while I tighten the nut?  

It is an eccentric adjuster pin with a flat blade slot under a dome head lock nut. The way to adjust it correctly is to remove the cover and do it on the bench. Any other way risks the shifting issues you already have. You may need to remove the cover and stop the pin from rotating as you turn the locknut. Get your big boy pants on and dive in and remove the cover.

Phil

• Like 2

It's too late,  I've burned up the bike.  I'm now a former V11 rider.

I took off the starter.  Unfortunately, I only unhooked the battery ground.  The hot starter wire grounded on the shock adjuster when I was working on it.  I smelled fire and got it free but too late.  The electrics are dead.  Totally.  Fuses are ok but there's melted insulation under the side cover.  

So far as the shifter, I was able to get the adjuster off and backed it with an allen head and tighten it.  Have no idea about that. 

Believe me, I'm sick about it.  

• Sad 6

• 1 month later...