Latest gears and pump from Joe Caruso.

These arrived a few days ago from Joe. The latest timing gears and oil pump. The pump now uses a bronze bushing for the main drive gear to minimise oil loss through the needle bearing type. I had Joe make my Jackshaft gear 16mm wide as opposed to the alloy gears 18mm width. I don't see a reason for a wider gear if it's now steel instead of aluminium. Pumps L to R....Joes pump, a std Daytona pump and another brand aftermarket pump. The Jackshaft is an MGS-01 shaft. The MGS got rid of the long jackshaft with the additional plain bearing at the flywheel end of the crankcases. That was a carry over from the 2 valve engine which needed the rear bearing as in that engine it was a camshaft and needed the rear support. The MGS shaft is supported by a ball bearing instead of the plain bearing at the front of the crankcase for less friction but it means the oil supply to the heads and oil pressure switch is now blocked so those are fed from the oil cooler connection. I'm seriously toying with the idea of just chopping the rear bearing and shaft off the jackshaft and running just the front plain bearing. I can't see why this wouldn't work and so preserve the integral oil feed to the heads and oil pressure switch. A bit more friction is all I can see as the result.  Details from Joe   

Oil Pump gears are Helical Case Hardened and polished and should give a Hardness around 55-60 R

The Bronze bushes have a 1mm shoulder like a top hat to prevent the bush moving towards the crankcase.

The large 56 teeth Steel belt pulley large gear is 16mm in gear width compared to the original of 18mm.

All the gears are made from en36 or 655m13 which is an upgrade from before as I was trying out this new supplier

and so these are shiny and not the usual black Tuftride finish.

These are Case Hardened gears which are then polished and so have a harder surface wear finish .

The black gears are classed as through hardened in the heat treatment and so not suitable for the polishing process. 

The case hardened gears have an increase of around 10 Rockwell over the Tuftride gears and so I think they might

sound different too.

IMG_3593.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff Phil

I'm guessing this is for a another HiCam build, which I'll be following avidly (stalking???)

It will be interesting to see what differences result from all the modifications on the "HiCam II" over the engine that's now in your Greenie

Thanks for informing us of the latest and greatest from Joe, I do need to drop him a line at some point.

One more thing, where did you source the MGS jackshaft from as it would an intersting upgrade to my HiCam?

John

Phil you answered one question for me. I always wondered how the MGS-01 lubed the jackshaft with ball bearings. I heard if used more than 13 psi oil pressure you could cause the ball bearings to skid. Guzzi took it right out of the circuit, problem move to oil cooler with no thermostat.

Going through your photo album, oh my but you covered a lot of ground over the years. Phil you certainly persevered to the benefit of us all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevin_T said:

Phil you answered one question for me. I always wondered how the MGS-01 lubed the jackshaft with ball bearings. I heard if used more than 13 psi oil pressure you could cause the ball bearings to skid. Guzzi took it right out of the circuit, problem move to oil cooler with no thermostat.

Going through your photo album, oh my but you covered a lot of ground over the years. Phil you certainly persevered to the benefit of us all.

No,  no pressure feed to the jackshaft rolling element bearings and yes no thermostat to the oil cooler because the MGS engine was never made for road use. Same as it also went back to the smaller and slower driven V11 oil pump. Last thing this engine needs is an oil pump that delivers less oil at low rpm around town.  

Phil

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Weegie said:

Great stuff Phil

I'm guessing this is for a another HiCam build, which I'll be following avidly (stalking???)

It will be interesting to see what differences result from all the modifications on the "HiCam II" over the engine that's now in your Greenie

Thanks for informing us of the latest and greatest from Joe, I do need to drop him a line at some point.

One more thing, where did you source the MGS jackshaft from as it would an interesting upgrade to my HiCam?

John

I bought it from TLM about 5 or 6 years ago John when they were clearing out all their MGS parts. You can convert a standard one to the MGS ball bearing supported version as it's derived from that. You also need to provide a backstop to the ball bearing in the front bearing bore and seal off the old rear bearing oil feed as well.

Phil

• Thanks 1