Original rear shock

activpop

Two V11's have different rear shocks. 2001's built a month apart. One looks pretty wimpy, which I'm guessing is stock.  The other is much better build quality. Who made the stock shocks?

The original Sachs has a white spring, light gold anodized body, and blue anodized adjusters. Its remote is black with a blue anodized adjuster.

One of the two 2001 V11 you are looking at likely has an aftermarket shock . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, looks like I do have the stock on one. The other is all black and no external adjuster. Just an adjusting collar for spring preload.

Is that stock, but maybe with an aftermarket spring?

13 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

Is that stock, but maybe with an aftermarket spring?

I dont think so.

• Like 1

Wow, that has maximum preload dialed in? I would call that ungood. As in: spring way too soft.

No markings on it anywhere?

Yes, too soft. In fact, it almost looks like it's been cut. Doesn't it seem rather short? I don't have my bike on hand to compare.

Spring too soft, or the spring is simply too short, or a combination of the two. Clearly aftermarket. Possibly not originally for a V11 and thus the spring preload being what it is to get ride height in the ball park.

• Like 1

Well, I did say wimpy. There are some numbers on the spring. I will try to trace it off of that.  I wonder what I could replace it with so I dont break the bank? I probably would like to sell this bike in a month or so, and would prefer to sell it with a bit more proper rear end.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@doccWith the miles you have on your V11, what is the history of your rear shock? Rebuild or replacement?

That is a Wilbers rear shock and appears to have a spring fitted to suit the optional hydraulic per load adjuster. Thats why it looks short.

Phil

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

That is a Wilbers rear shock and appears to have a spring fitted to suit the optional hydraulic per load adjuster. Thats why it looks short.

Thanks for that input. I am going out to the shop now to read the numbers on the spring and try to reference them. I wonder what that smaller diameter grooved wheel at the rear of the shock does? I can't see what it could do. That spring seems compressed greatly by the threaded adjustment wheel. Is it normal to crank that thing so far down?

9 minutes ago, activpop said:

Thanks for that input. I am going out to the shop now to read the numbers on the spring and try to reference them. I wonder what that smaller diameter grooved wheel at the rear of the shock does? I can't see what it could do. That spring seems compressed greatly by the threaded adjustment wheel. Is it normal to crank that thing so far down?

It's the rebound adjuster. The reason the pre load collar is wound down so far is probably because the shock was originally fitted with an hydraulic per load adjuster that was removed, or another spring was fitted for use with the hydraulic pre load adjuster which are shorter or the wrong spring is fitted from another manufacturer. The spring probably doesn't have as much preload as you think because the spring is short to make space for the hydraulic pre load adjuster.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Wilburs should be worth retaining if the preload adjustment can be sorted. That is no cheap aftermarket shock . . .

I replaced my original Sachs after seven years 49,000 miles/ 79.000 km with the last Öhlins MG127 remote preload unit known to be available at the time (2007). This was part of a strategy to set up the suspension to my weight and style which included spring selection both front and rear. The outcome was exquisite and has served me exceptionally well to this day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1