Swingarm stub axle thread size

GSXR814

17 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

I dealt with the two different sizes when I swapped the side plates/pork chops/stilettos a couple years ago.  I measured both swing arm pivots with a digital caliper at 19.9 mm and 21.8 mm.  These numbers relate to the outside diameter of the threads.  I would call them M20 and M22, respectively.

I measured the ID of the locknut at just under 20mm so the OD I guessed at 22mm. The other pair of pins I have are on the bench and I measured them at 24mm thread OD.:huh2:

In the recesses of my mind I have a memory that there was a 2mm OD difference between the old and later type thats why I went for 22 on the old OD.

Phil

44 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

The other pair of pins I have are on the bench and I measured them at 24mm thread OD

Could there actually be three sizes of "pins": M20, M22, and M24? :huh2:

For those concerned about the excessive weight of the pins, I put the pair of M22 pins on the scale: 191 grams (about 6.75 ounces).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Why Titanium? because the std ones are really quite heavy. Ti ones are on my list of things to machine up for my bike but I'd need to use a different method for holding them instead of an allan socket as i don't have a broaching tool. The thread will be MXX by 1.0mm I'm almost certain. I have a pair of large ones as spares that I can check later today. Important if you want to buy a replacement pork chop.

Phil 

Im just looking at nuts at the moment not the actual axles. 

4 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Could there actually be three sizes of "pins": M20, M22, and M24? :huh2:

For those concerned about the excessive weight of the pins, I put the pair of M22 pins on the scale: 191 grams (about 6.75 ounces).

Im not looking to replace the pins at the moment, just the very tatty nuts with something better/lighter. 

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Corrections. Old size looks like M22 X 1.0 without pulling the locknut off. Later bikes definitely M24 X 1.0.

Phil

Later as in black frame 02 onwards? Sorry I'm relatively new to V11 ownership. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, docc said:

This looks consistent with the early SpineFrames. It is later, then, that the threaded diameter increased? But the stub size remains the same (no change to the swingarm bearings across the range)?

I know for sure it's just the thread size docc. I'm thinking the 24mm ones I have are Centauro pins which means Guzzi made at least 3 different thread diameters for the same part that does the same job. Whats the sense in that. Before the days of "parts rationalisation I guess. Now wonder they were always in the red.

Phil

• Like 1

Well I'm darned if I know what my 24mm pins are off because the p/n's for the Centy and the later post 2002 v11's are the same:huh2:

Phil 

23 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Corrections. Old size looks like M22 X 1.0 without pulling the locknut off. Later bikes definitely M24 X 1.0.

Phil

Remove the jam nut and measure the O.D. of the pivot and see what you get.

M22 pins pivot side OD is 17mm.  M20s must be the same.  As long as you have the right size pins for your side plates/pork chops/stilettos, they are fully swappable. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 6:34 AM, GSXR814 said:

Can anybody confirm what size thread is on the short stub axles that thread into the 'porkchops' and then into the swingarm bearings? 

My current thinking is M20 x 1.0 fine

If it matters , what is the reason you are wanting to know about the different size pivot pins ?

On 4/12/2024 at 1:18 AM, GSXR814 said:

Im not looking to replace the pins at the moment, just the very tatty nuts with something better/lighter. 

The only fastener you are going to replace this with is another jam nut from M/G OR if you are a machinist and want to make one , you can go that route.