Possible bad rectifier?

1 hour ago, motoguzzikc said:

@GuzziMotothanks for the post ok the allotted volts for the battery. This helps out my mind at ease. 

I see a lot of posts on here about the guzzidiag tool, can anyone link the most useful?  I want to know where to download and what hardware I will need. During my boring day job I'm a Software QA so I feel more then confident working with the tool as opposed to my extreme basic understanding of power flow on this bike lol. Thanks in advance for any help 

From the Odyssey website; "the alternator should provide between 14.2 and 14.5 volts at the battery terminals." So you are just above their target range and below the maximum 15 volts they warn not to exceed.

Another number for the Odyssey battery to know is voltage when fully charged. They say the Odyssey battery will read 12.84 volts when fully charged at 77 degrees F after sitting for at least 6 hours to settle out after charging. That is slightly higher then some other batteries voltage when fully charged.

Finally, the Sparker battery that came stock in many, if not all, V11 Sports was for all intent and purpose an Odyssey battery by a different name. So, if there is any concern that the stock charging system will work with the Odyssey battery, well, I would say it seems the factory thought it would.

• Like 1

@GuzziMotothanks! I should have gone to the website and checked on this info for myself. I'm happy to say that when the bike is off 12.85 is what my battery reads and it's been hovering in the mid 70s mostly here in Kansas City. 

I looked back through the entire thread and have to suggest adding a dedicated ground/earth from the regulator case to the timing chest. Also, to clean/tighten/seal the main ground to the back of the gearbox on the right (behind the seat latch actuator).

It would be telling if the charging voltage changes after addressing the grounds.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, motoguzzikc said:

I'll have a look this weekend!

What gauge wire should I use when running the ground wire off the regulator?

I sourced braided ground strap locally and sleeved it in heat shrink. Technically, I think it is 10 gauge.

th?id=OIP.kDLF2_3ADJ0Mon3tV44BAgAAAA%26p

• Like 2

Last year, I noted that cranking speed on my '04 V11 was slowing significantly. With a charge, all was fine. However, I noted that the rectifier has a multi-pin connector at the left front down tube on the subframe. Rather exposed to weather. I undid it and cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner on a pipe cleaner, blew it our with air, then applied Caig De-oxIT and snapped it back together. All is well since. Water from rain or washing runs into the connector and corrosion begins. It doesn't take much before resistance rises. Anyway, as easy fix if that happens to be the trouble, and a maintenance item if not.

• Like 1