Heading to Portugal/Spain, September

We just booked our vacation for September, heading to Lisbon and Porto Portugal, as well as Saville and Madrid Spain. Should anyone know of anything Moto in those areas worth visiting, please share. I usually try to at least stop at a few dealers or local shops. Thanks

• Like 2

Spain?

Spain is motorcycle everything.... the homeland of Mark Marquez, Jorge Lorenzo, Dani Pedrosa, Pedro Acosta, just citing a few. There are so many more...

Wherever you go in Spain, you will be among motorcyclists.

Dealerships in Europe are very different from those in the USA. I can say that first hand. I have been to Spain several times, but not riding. Barcelona is one of my favorite places.

Portugal: I have also been, on vacation in the Algarve; Faro.

Portugal is very picturesque and less "invaded" than Spain.

Since you are going to Seville in Andalucia, I suggest you inspire yourself from this: https://www.andalucia.org/en/motorbike-routes

• Like 3

Thank you @p6x I've been to Europe a few times, including Barcelona, but never Portugal. In fact it was after that trip that my wife and I bought two Vespas upon our return. I'm looking forward to this trip!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

Thank you @p6x I've been to Europe a few times, including Barcelona, but never Portugal. In fact it was after that trip that my wife and I bought two Vespas upon our return. I'm looking forward to this trip!

I was never really interested in Portugal before flying out to Luanda from Lisbon.

I never had the time to visit much of Lisbon, but I enjoyed Faro a lot. The water is cold, but it is very sunny, friendly, and if you like fish, you can treat yourself as much as you can eat. You will not break the bank.

• Like 4

Hey Lagrasta!

well…. I have just got back into my house from a 4 day trip south to north of Portugal. There is a publicised route that runs from Faro in the south to Chaves (pronounced shoves). Don’t tell anyone but the roads here beat the Alps by a mile. The Alps has higher mountains, but a ton more tourists and speed cameras. 
There is a lot of info on the N2 route on Google and a thread on Advrider.  https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/n2-portugal.1580803/
But this is just a very small part of what Portugal can offer. 
I came back via Serra da Estrella. This was even better. Just stunning. And I have ridden the alps, dolomites picos and Pyrenees etc.

But that’s all for a longer tour. If you are hotspotting..  Lisbon and Oporto have plenty rental opportunities and great riding near by.

Around Lisbon

ride out of Lisbon on the Marginal to Cascais stay on the N247 north up the coast to Guincho then Malveira da Serra. After this you can continue North on 247 and take a quick stop at Cabo da Rocca. (The most western point in EU) If you have time Azenhas do Mar is. Great place for food. Sinatra is a must see place and can be visited on the way back. It is very busy there on a weekend. 

South of Lisbon,

go across the old bridge (Ponte April 25th) and route yourself to the coastal road of Arribida. This is used a lot for new bike launches. N379-1. Halfway along there is a small road that goes down to the beaches portinho da Arrabida. Fantastic place for lunch. Continue to Setúbal and take the ferry to Troia. It’s another world over there but sandy and flat for a while. I like it there because it’s more original and the food is great and cheap. 

If you want to go further then the Alentejo is wonderful for slow touring. (Can be fast also if you want…) Evora is a very nice place to visit and happens to have the best Guzzi dealer in Portugal. It’s Piaggio and not a big place but the people are great. They organise the yearly Guzzi owners day. Had a fantastic time with them. You can ride there for lunch and be back in lisbon for dinner. All on national roads. 
There is a dealer in Lisbon if you just want to window shop etc. Service with them was not to my liking and I am not the only one with that view. 

Porto

this is easier..  everywhere is great! 😂

Follow the Douro river out of town in land. Jump on the N222 (voted most picturesque road in Europe). There are loads of vineyards to visit for wine and port. Or just stop where ever something takes your fancy. 
Braga and Guimares are great cities to visit.

hope that gets you started. If there is anything more specific or you want to do or if you need some help finding bike rental then I will be glad to assist. 
you will have a great time, that is guaranteed. 

c25a94c9-9d86-48ad-aafc-c599eb5c2dbb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful, @Bingbong! Thank you for your terrific reply and photo of your Coppa Italia in its natural habitat!

@LaGrasta is in good hands. :race:

@JBastida stops in with us from near Madrid from time to time. Perhaps he will se this notification and chime in . . .

• Like 2

Excellent, thank you for all of the details. I can't wait to get there!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 11:04 AM, LaGrasta said:

We just booked our vacation for September, heading to Lisbon and Porto Portugal, as well as Saville and Madrid Spain. Should anyone know of anything Moto in those areas worth visiting, please share. I usually try to at least stop at a few dealers or local shops. Thanks

Just in case you don't read the post, HERTZRIDE rents bike in Portugal, Spain, Italy, and so on. I put the location list underneath.

So you may be able to enjoy riding there too.

2024-06-20_17-32-58.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2