Shifting gets worse

Admin Jaap

Guest ratchethack

Clarification on above post - see typo - "mo". I meant, "no", as in, "No mo moly!" :D

<edited orignal post . . . docc>

I have to second the opinions on the Red Line Heavy Duty oil. My shifting was getting rather "clunky" too with lots of missed shifts and it seemed to be getting worse the hotter it got. When the engine and tranny were cold, it would shift very nicely, as soon as it warmed up the shifting got very tough. I have always been a skeptic as far as oils are...Always felt "an oil is an oil is an oil..." In this particular case I felt there was nothing to lose so I tried it. I gotta admit I was sure wrong. The Red Line made a night and day difference! The bike shifts perfectly now hot or cold. Made a believer out of me!

Randy

I had the Redline Light in my gearbox for 4500 miles now. No leaks but are there other issues I should worry about? I change it with the motor oil at about 3000 miles or so.

Guest ratchethack

Docc, I think that Red Line Shockproof Light Duty wouldn't be likely to hurt anything in the trans, but I wouldn't use it in the bevel box. Just one Guy's opinion, FWIW (and now we're back into Oil Thread cliche's, aren't we?).

As Ed Milich at GuzziTech says about the best oil to use, "Make sure it comes in a sealed container with a label on it." FYI, from the RL Web site RE: Shockproof Light:

"May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with SuperLight ShockProof™ Gear Oil)."

The racing trans & diff applications are entirely different than the way most of us use trans lube in our Guzzis. My concerns about the Shockproof Light Duty are that with the friction properties of a 30wt., you're not getting the properties spec'd by the factory, (the film strength and associated operating smoothness of a much heavier 75W90 gear oil), and the bit about "high temperatures" seems a little dubious. Why not give the Heavy Duty a try & see what you think? I suspect you'd notice a BIG difference and that you'd like it! :luigi: