Shifting gets worse

Admin Jaap

Last few weeks shifting gets more and more "clunkier" (is that a word?) and I'm experiencing more false neutrals shifting down.

I've read a few times different oil could help: "Red line". What's that and is there a European counterpart?

Are there any other suggestions?

TIA

Redline

Dealer - Delta Oil Europe:

Linconshire, United Kingdom, +44 (0) 1572 768311

I think I've seen Redline for sale here.

My gearbox shifted in a slicker fashion after changing the oil to Castrol Syntrax

'Castrol Syntrax Universal - 75W/90

Part synthetic

Covers 95% of all manual gearboxes,

including those requiring a gear oil to

API GL3, GL4 and GL5'

I think that I have posted here before about the high metallic content of the gearbox oil each time that I have changed it, even after only 200 miles of use since the last change and again after another 200 miles. I don't know how long the gearbox running-in lasts for until this grinding lessens. You could have a look at your oil to see what it's like – possiby black and silvery and full of metal filings and the magnetic plug bristling with spikey steel bits.

Even better, take off the side plate and see how much metallic sludge is lieing in the bottom...and while you're there, check your spring and shiftplate situation and measure your bits and bobs.

'Clunkier' is de facto a word. I use it all the time, and my wife will kill me if she found out :lol: Sorry, just kidding about that last part, dear.

Try using a heavy, shockproof, full synthetic. Red line is just high quality oil- nothing magic about it. Moly might help a bit too- that stuff is pretty slippery. I use BMW gear oil in mine, I found out (my dealer put it in). Works just fine, but nothing special. Maybe I'll try the red line stuff just to see.

Speaking of gear oils and such, where does one by AMSoil? I wanted to get some of the spline lube mentioned in the MGNOC news, but don't know where to buy it.

J

Guest vkerrigan

Jaap,

If you decide to go with the Redline, I would recommend using the Shockproof Heavy which flows like a 75-90w oil but protects like a >200w. I have used it in my transmission and bevel drive for a couple of years now and am very happy with shift ease, etc. When I had the transmission apart last fall to replace the infamous "spring" as a PM measure, everything inside looked like new. This product typically runs about $8.00 US here so perhaps that can be some reference point. If you need assistance in buying/shipping let me know and I'll be glad to help with whatever....................vk

You might try tossing in a little Molycoat.

No, it's washing machines that you toss little moggy cats into.

A hamster might fit in the gearbox though.

No, it's washing machines that you toss little moggy cats into.

I just love the squal that comes out during the spin cycle. :blink:

I am a firm believer in RedLine products. I have had nothing but excellent results since the mid 80's in everything from turbo cars to bikes. If I recall they started out making full synthetics for the aerospace industry and military before it was "in vogue" and then began to offer it to the racers. While it always has been expensive and hard to find it is well worth the price in the long run.

www.redlineoil.com :bier:

Speaking of gear oils and such, where does one by AMSoil? I wanted to get some of the spline lube mentioned in the MGNOC news, but don't know where to buy it.

J

JRT,

Try Guzzitech.com, Todd is an Amsoil distributor.

See you in a few weeks,

Mike

jaap, how many km on your gearbox? How many since the last oil change?

Aren't you coming to the States soon?

jaap, how many km on your gearbox? How many since the last oil change?

Aren't you coming to the States soon?

Last oil change: 2000 kms ago (winter 2002-2003, so about time...) Total kms: 7000.

And yeah... I could take a bottle or 2 with me on the plane back. Hadn't thought of that.

hmm,

I think I can get it here in Luleå

so I took for granted that it should be

available in more crowded parts of Europe too.

But checking the redline oil site there is a swedish

distributor but no dutch such. :homer:

I could get and send you a couple of bottles

but I would try to just do a oil change to some

high quality gear oil (Castrol synthetic for instance)

maybe with a few drops of moly.

I have seen recommendations for different redline oils

shockproof heavy and shockproof light. What is the final

verdict for smooth gearbox action in a colder (european)

climate?

Guest vkerrigan

Goran........When I lived in Virginia, I would ride in temps down to the low 40's (F) and had no problem with gearbox operation. As far as the merits of Shockproof Heavy vs Shockproof Light, I went with the recommendation of the technical department at Redline. From what I can discern, the big difference is the Heavy flows like normal 75-90w gear lube whereas the Light flows like 30-40w oil. Whether this is an issue I don't know, although I believe Fonzarelli had some problems with seepage of Light gear lube into the clutch or bell housing area. Also, I don't want to come accross here as a Redline zealot. Its worked well for me, but I'm sure other fully synthetic lubes work well also............vk

Guest ratchethack

Jaap, if you're looking for some feedback on RedLine Shockproof Heavy Duty for the transmission, I did some research (a few comparo lube studies and some follow-up RedLine company propaganda). They have pretty impressive claims - see below from their Web site re: the Shockproof Heavy:

"The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90."

I put it in both trans & bevel box after completing my trans recall a few thousand miles back. After reading everything I could get my hands on, I decided no moly would be needed with it. I had prev. run a generic 75W90 synthetic in both, and have been very happy with the change. :rolleyes: I've read a few posts about leaking with RL Shockproof, but believe this was the Light Duty, which would be incorrect for our application and I would expect this. In several thousand miles now running the Heavy Duty in all kinds of loads & conditions, there has been no evidence of any leaking past the seals and no downside. From the start, there was an instantly noticeable improvement in overall smoothness. The entire driveline seemed to be noticeably better cushioned. The "clunkiness" (to use your term) in the trans itself and at both ends of the driveline slack all but disappeared, and so did my occasional previously missed downshifts. Per their claim, to me, it actually feels like a 250wt. I've also used RedLine MTL (an entirely different product) in 2 separate manual transmissions in 2 separate cars for over 10 years and have never used (or heard of) a comparable performing, more durable trans lube. :thumbsup:

Good riding! :mg: