bizzare backfires/stumbles, poor running..

Guest dkgross

Guest Brian Robson

DK, if you are put off the Whistler trip, it is a holiday here in BC and I will be off on Monday. A ride sounds like a fine idea for a few hours. I could meet you and ride east on some twisty roads as going west that evening will be hard with the returning holiday traffic. You could head to the Okanagan and back to Seattle via the Cascades or back through Canada. Give me a bell. :bike::bike:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest freud

Well, the gas thingy would certainly seem to screw things up commonsencically. (Made up word, sorry) But, I just HAD to run some 85 in mine up in the mountains because I litterally ran out of gas in scarry-redneck-mountainfolk town. I only purchaced a gallon... I then ran it had (as you do) for twetny or so miles, and it diddn't like it... It called me bad names in Italian as it coughed like a 80-year-old chainsmoker (not really THAT bad, but you get the picture).

However after adding 91 again, it instantly cleared up, even mixed and at 11000 feet near leadville, CO.

Maybe you were inadvertantly experiencing heat related distress as I often do... Just a thought. You can seearch for a long painful thread bearing my ID.

Guest GGuzzi
ok..I went on a 300 mile 'Three Pass' Ride today and just had some weird shit happen.

I left Seattle with about 60 miles on my tank of Chevron Premium. It was the first tank I've put in since getting the PCIII and FBF Airbox kit installed.

She ran GREAT. Strong..powerful...smooth all the way up to redline...

I ran her out to the moutains (Snoqualmie Pass)..elev 4000 or so...NO ISSUES...Ran smooth and powerful all the way. I went about 30 minutes past the pass to get gas... The odo had turned 151 miles!!! AND..the yellow light WAS NOT ON!!! I thought that maybe something didn't get connected...the light always came on around 120...

just to be safe, I stopped for gas. I pulled into a Shell station (because the only Chevron in the little town was closed). I put 3.6 gallons in!!!! WOW. 41mpg! That's great for me :)

Oh..by now, we're on the dry side of the mountians..no idea of elevation...

anyway...I fill up with premium, and take off. Within 10 mintues, it feels like there's NO power...lots of popping and backfiring sounds on throttle release. Sound like it's 'spitting' from under the tank...No gas smell though..WTF????

As I'm heading to the next pass (Blewett..eleve 3400) it just gets worse, to the point where I'm really worried that SOMETHING has gone very wrong...

Since I'm in the middle of bfe out here, and the bike is running, albeit like a piece of crap, I decide to head through the pass, and try to get home on the north pass route... 75 after the fillup, I start thinking I got a bad tankful, so I pull into a Chevron and put another gallon and a half in.

Ride for another 110 miles..the light comes on now...I'm at the top of the third pass (Stevens Pass...elev 4800 or so)....I put 3.7 gallons in and start heading down the pass.

She'd been running like CRAP for almost 200 miles...now..as I'm heading down the pass, it starts smoothing out...within 40 miles, it's back to normal (and I'm close to sea level again...)

The rest of the trip home, there was an OCCASIONAL pop on decelearation, but none of the other symptoms..

SO...

BAD GAS???

PCIII not set right for the altitude???

should I go to the shop tomorrow am and get a new fuel filter???? Anything else I should check? Plugs???

argh. I leave sunday am for my trip to Vancouver Island!!!

I have recently modified with the same hardware. I too have had the same problems. The pops start at about 3000 rpm and dissappear once I hit 3500-4000rpm. I alway use hi- octane fuel but have no preference when I am on the road with the exception of Sunoco 94 plus ,the highest I have been able to find. I have heard a few opinions of which water was not one of them. One was that i was running lean.

Two: that the injectors need to be re- Calibrated due to the Pc111.

The bike started this popping problems only miles from a dyno session with FBF. At first I thought the PC111 is adjusting itself or learning the setup. Now I think I might have to take it in for an inspection.

Could heat and humidity also create this effect?

I had the same problem with the mapping on my pcIII . Around 3,000-3,500 rpm the bike would pop and run poorly mainly when I was in the mountains of North Carolina . I unplug the pcIII and the problem went away . then I plugged the pcIII back in the problem was back. So I richend the mixture slightly manualy on the pcIII and my bike runs great ever since. If you had a fuel and water problem you would have a constant problem until the water was removed.

cheers

Guest GGuzzi
I had the same problem with the mapping on my pcIII . Around 3,000-3,500 rpm the bike would pop and run poorly mainly when I was in the mountains of North Carolina . I unplug the pcIII and the problem went away . then I plugged the pcIII back in the problem was back. So I richend the mixture slightly manualy on the pcIII and my bike runs great ever since. If you had a fuel and water problem you would have a constant problem until the water was removed.

cheers

How do you adjust the fuel mixture on the pc111 if it is running lean?

G-

There are manual buttons on the face of the unit. I have the manual here...I think. I richened mine a couple of years ago, and my memory.. what was it that I was saying?

Hey, Sorry about the gas thing-- but on that subject, every bike I've owned has run just plain "regular" at the pump. That goes for Honda VTR and Ducati 900, and I-4's. Do you guys have to run that high octane stuff? As people can tell from previous posts, I no less than zero mechanically! When you first gave that descriptionup in the hills - it sounded just like my goose when it blew a sleeve thing from the left intake. I'll still try and leave the high octane stuff for the race-day bikes.

To adjust the pcIII with the ignition off you press three buttons at the same time. while still pressing the buttons turn the ignition switch on and hold the buttons. The led lights on the left that say rich and lean will line up at the zero mark. Then you use the buttons low, mid , and high to adjust. I would just adjust in small amounts at first and test drive. I belive I am right I have not done this in a while.

JJ

svjj, you are correct on the PCIII adjustment, just be sure not shut the bike off for 15-20 seconds after the adjustment, or it will reset itself.

If the bike's (generic or custom) map is on the lean side of things, yes warmer weather will affect it (ECU related). The 15M ECU does use a barometric pressure sensor, but only for altitude adjustment. It cannot/will not adjust the bike for humidity... which as I've seen, can have a rather large impact on the map (lean or rich) depending on the day/bike in which the map was built. This is the critical point when having a custom map built... is to be sure it is not mapped on the lean side of things (which often some "water-cooled only Sportbike" shops sometimes have a tendency to do).

Todd@GuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech

Guest GGuzzi
G-

There are manual buttons on the face of the unit. I have the manual here...I think. I richened mine a couple of years ago, and my memory.. what was it that I was saying?

You alright ray..... :D

Guest GGuzzi
To adjust the pcIII with the ignition off you press three buttons at the same time. while still pressing the buttons turn the ignition switch on and hold the buttons. The led lights on the left that say rich and lean will line up at the zero mark. Then you use the buttons low, mid , and high to adjust. I would just adjust in small amounts at first and test drive. I belive I am right I have not done this in a while.

JJ

Do you release the buttons and then adjust? And which way should I go Med or High. Slightly confused. When it lines up to zero does that mean its inbetween lean and rich or does it reset to leanest????? :wacko: