bizzare backfires/stumbles, poor running..

Guest dkgross

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dkgross

Todd..I was wondering about the altitude thing as well, as the issue first occured with my bike in the mountains (coincedentaly?? after getting 'bad' gas???) And, in about 100 degree weather.

on my trip yesterday, much was at altitude, but, the bike demonstrated pretty much the same behaviour this morning at sea level and in much cooler temps.

does the ECU for the Guzzi Titanium pipes setup also have the barometer sensor??

fyi...Even with my new PCIII unplugged, the bike still stumbled and choked out... And, it ran a hell of a lot weaker. The only way I was able to get home was to manually richen it up three 'indicators' worth all the way around.

does the ECU for the Guzzi Titanium pipes setup also have the barometer sensor??

Yes it does, the Ti ECU is identical outside of a new map.

fyi...Even with my new PCIII unplugged, the bike still stumbled and choked out... And, it ran a hell of a lot weaker.  The only way I was able to get home was to manually richen it up three 'indicators' worth all the way around.

Hmmm... ok. Guess it was a good thing you had the PCIII on, eh?

Try doing some basic trouble-shooting & verify your TPS voltage.

Todd

Guest dkgross

well..yeah :)

Pretty sure that's where Micha is gonna start..Unhook everything...set the TPS, check the mixture, hook up the PC and tweak...

still hoping for a dyno run this week, but I'll be patient and wait till Micha figures out what else might be going on with her.

it makes me a tad bummed. I was planning on cruising around all week this week on my vacation...And it makes me not trust the bike completely.

and, it makes me want to learn how to fix it myself :luigi:

Guest GGuzzi
Here are the power commander instructions.

JJ

I had mine dynoed. Does this method change the mapping or delete it? Also when it says turn on the ignition does that mean start he bike or just turn the key to activate pump? Still wary....

If it turns out to be bad fuel (that is, water) drain it and thn add some methelated spirits. This will break down the water with no ill effects to the system. Can't remember the exact amount ('bout a teaspoon to the tank??

Some hreads here (Oz) say add metho from time to time to overcome condensation water in the tank

Allan

JJ

I had mine dynoed. Does this method change the mapping or delete it? Also when it says turn on the ignition does that mean start he bike or just turn the key to activate pump? Still wary....

I am under the impression that it adjust the current map. I uploaded my map after adjustment and it was only slightly different. If you save to your computer the map you have downloaded you can always revert back to that map.

You do not need to start the bike just turn the power on. (Igniton switch too on position.) I did this 8,000 miles ago and no problems. It all depends on what mapping you have and how much you adjust it. Mine was based off the Raceco map.

I hope this info helps I did have a friend show me how to do this 2 years ago.

Cheers,

JJ

Guest dkgross

still no luck on my bike...fuel pump/system all seems ok...Relays ok...sigh...so much for vacation. Now it's on to electrical system troublshooting.

At least Micha doesn't mind when I send him info I find here on the board :)

might test ride an FJR 1300 today :( I HATE having no confidence in my bike.

I hear ya, that's one of the reasons I'm not heading down to Monterrey for the ST.net CA meet this weekend. But to be fair, in this case it's not really my bike's fault. I haven't put enough miles on it this Spring/Summer after "tinkering" to develop said confidence.

I suspect it would do OK once I shook out the few bugs... that *I* probably introduced through my various tinkering.

So, is your bike STILL acting up Dave?

al

JJ

I am under the impression that it adjust the current map. I uploaded my map after adjustment and it was only slightly different. If you save to your computer the map you have downloaded you can always revert back to that map.

You do not need to start the bike just turn the power on. (Igniton switch too on position.) I did this 8,000 miles ago and no problems. It all depends on what mapping you have and how much you adjust it. Mine was based off the Raceco map.

I hope this info helps I did have a friend show me how to do this 2 years ago.

Cheers,

JJ

Yes the ignition and kill switch need to both be "on", just as if the engine were running, but of course not. You'll know whether you have it all turned on, as the PCIII lights up when on.

As far as the map, the tuner may or may not save your old map.... although IMHO, they should. If it's important to you, ask them to make sure to save a copy for you.

Once you tinker with the map on the PCIII itself, whether a whole new map uploaded "en grosse" or you just adjust a few cells... once it is uploaded, it gets saved, and "that's it". There is not a backup on the PCIII itself.

So if keeping old revisions is important to you, be sure to keep them on your shop PC.

al

Guest dkgross

So, is your bike STILL acting up Dave?

yup..and, of course, it's intermittent, and hard to duplicate. It'll stay at Moto I until it's either fixed or sold :(

I thought for sure it would fall into the heat/altitute/vapor lock issue catagory, but when I decided to bag the vacation and head home, I headed out at 9am, at pretty much sea level in 70 degree weather. And it still did it.

:(

Well, if it's never done it prior to the trip in the mountains the other week(when you first reported this), then I'd say it's something that just happened, and isn't necessarily a fatal flaw such that you can't "trust the bike" long term ;)

I mean, you've been riding the bike to work for over a year now almost daily, right?

I bet the bad fuel has got something clogged up, or maybe a sensor or other connection has gone bad/come loose. I bet it's something minor. At least I hope so :unsure: Heck, even your PCIII might have died... it happens :huh2:

Well, just let us know what happens :thumbsup:

al

Dave,

I will not let you sell your bike :)

Firstly this didn't happen until the new airbox went on right ? Di anything else change other than the Map ?

You'll be heartbroken if you buy something else, my recomendation is to just suck it up (it's raining today anyways :) ) . I'm having to do the same thing with my bike. The great thing is that once it's set up, you will be good to go because you've already made all of the improvements that you will ever need to make :)

..or you could buy that Furia :)