Oil Temperature

O2 V11

Now my bike is on the road, I was wondering how hot does the oil get?

Has anyone got any information? I'm not interested in going down the

synthetic vs. mineral road. I'm only looking for facts to make an

informed decision.

Out riding yesterday I found that my low fuel does not work...

Took 20.39 litres / 5.38 US gals. Put in our 91 octane, only unleaded

available here. If anything slightly better performance than the

original tank of Californian gas that would have been at the end of

it's life. Really smelly stuff, what do you guys put in it?

Rob

I have an oil thermometer devise [i won't use the word probe, people will think oddly of me] which indicates that after my bike arrives home in our current 85degF summer, the temperature is around 200deg F. My other bikes are more or less the same, and are all air cooled.

My low fuel light has never worked since new, and at one time ran 290kms before filling up, and took over 21 litres. And she really is not impressed unless I put in 92 ocatane or better.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Jeff Kelland

Ideally, it would be best if the oil temperature exceeds 212F. At this temp and above, it will boil the water (condensation) out of the oil. :luigi:

Guest John T

Well, this may get rid of the water faster, but the water will still evaporate out almost as fast at temps below 212.

Think about it, put a pan of water on the stove at 200 degrees and it will evaporate (almost steaming) out pretty fast. You just need to make longer trips to get the water out.

I've got one of those oil dipstick thermometer thingamahoobie (that's the technical term :nerd: until belfast comes up with a better one). In hot weather, the bike runs around 100 C, in cooler weather it runs about 80. It definitely runs better at 80 C. When it get's hotter, it doesn't 'feel' as smooth or comfortable. Might be me just being hot, though. Condensate will evaporate even at 80 or even at 60 or 50. Just takes a bit longer, which is a fine reason to extend your ride.

J

thingamahoobie –

– the of itself unknown and unknowable rational object, or thing in itself, which is distinguished from the phenomenon through which it is apprehended by the senses, and by which it is interpreted and understood; - so used in the philosophy of Kant Rideabyke and his pedestrian followers.

I prefer to call it the Stick, or sometimes the oily stick (usually when I put oil in).

Well, decide for yourself, but I would go so far as to say that the 'V.11 Spring' is a mis-judged hoax by Moto Guzzi intended to draw attention to the decline in the standards of intellectual rigour in certain precincts of the Italian moto-academic humanities.

Certain scrupulous and intellectually competent elements within Moto Guzzi had seen the deliberate inclusion of this 'piece' in the overall v.11 machine as a subversive attack on the 'Woodstock generation' dogma imposed by the long post-Enlightenment Americanised hegemony over the Old Italian intellectual outlook. Ultimately this inspired and masterful approach proved to be out of tune with modern times and the point was entirely lost during the take-over by Aprillia.

Aprillia merely saw the spring as 'the way things are' in an external world governed by laws of nature which we can understand imperfectly using the scientific method. It is thought that rather than address this matter along with all the greater imperfections such as petrol injected by electricty, fat tyres and so on, Aprillia simply put their energies into convincing Ducati that physical 'reality', as demonstrated by springs and so on, is at bottom a social and linguistic construct.

A similar and last-ditch attempt, to reinforce their point, was made by the old-guard Moto Guzzi intellectuals when they altered the temperature at which water would boil out of oil in different models of V.11. With the change to Aprillia, this was missed completely and has only recently been picked up on among the esoteric fringes of post-Woodstock pseudo-scientific motorcycling communities. The only result is that Moto Guzzi seem to be on the back foot and so far this is no agreement on where this will all end.

Guest bshpilot
I've got one of those oil dipstick thermometer thingamahoobie

whered you get your dipstick thermometer thingie ??

I got my unknown and unknowable rational object, or thing in itself, which is distinguished from the phenomenon through which it is apprehended by the senses, and by which it is interpreted and understood (or simply the oily stick) at the local shop, but I noticed MGCycle carries them. That suggests that all the usual suspects do.

Funny thing is that when I got my unknown and unknowable rational object, or thing in itself, which is distinguished from the phenomenon through which it is apprehended by the senses, and by which it is interpreted and understood, it wasn't oily at all.

J

Guest ratchethack
Moto Guzzi seem to be on the back foot and so far this is no agreement on where this will all end.

Aha! It's all clear to me now!

Would you concur then, Dr. Belfast, that transgressing the historic boundaries between Guzzi and Aprilia towards a transformative hermeneutics of post-Enlightenment Americanized moto-academic shifter spring subversion is merely a transitory experience without end?

:lol:

Guest bshpilot
but I noticed MGCycle carries them.

DAMM...SIXTY FIVE BUCKS...ouch

thatll have to wait....just ordered the stand, longer

brake/clutch from mph today.

Ill have to add some mo' miles to the ol' expense report

for i do that ;)