4.5" rear rim into 02 Scura

Baldini

Does the 4.5" rear wheel off the earlier V11's fit straight into 02 on bikes that have 5.5" rim? Anyone done this? What bits do I need? Do I have to make up spacers? I understand 02 bikes had wider s/a.

Thanks, KB :sun:

John, Ralph, Thanks.

Just to be clear...the hub is the same then, only the rim width is different. So I can use spindle, caliper mount, spacer from Scura - all I need is the wheel?

Cheers, KB :sun:

Why would you want to fit the 4.5'' wheel?.

I found the 180 tyre too big. I run a 170 tyre & much prefer the handling - I find turn in much more balanced. A 4.5" rim may let the 170 run a better profile as I think the 5.5" flattens it out & am concerned it runs off the tread earlier with the flattened profile. It may speed up the turn in too much, I dunno, but I guess I could then go to a 160!

Ralph, What size tyre you running?

KB :sun:

Before going to the trouble/expense of the smaller wheel, have you tried a few different brands/models of tire?

There are quite a few different profiles out there of the same size tire, even the stock 180, and one may give you the kind of ride you are looking for :huh2:

Mike Stewart has good things to say about the Pirelli Diablo and it's profile making the steering much quicker.

al

Guest Gary Cheek

I agree with Baldini on this one . The tire used on the Scura is way too wide . Funny how many folks will buy any and every doo-dad looking for improved performance ,will balk at actually taking a step like a narrowe rear tire .

The Ohlins even like the reduced weight of a smaller / lighter rear tire .

Guest John T

If you step down to a 4.5 inch rim, the 170 will be too big. It pinches the profile. You will have to go down to a 160 on a 4.5 inch rim to get the proper fit.

Been there done that.......