Rear Stand

Guest 2001f4s

Guest 2001f4s

I have always used the Pitbull rear stands and intend to get one for the V11. My dealer mentioned a problem with the bike walking off the stand. is there a fix or a recommendation for a different stand

Thanks

My dealer mentioned a problem with the bike walking off the stand.

Yep. I now tie a loop of wire or somethiing around the end of the swing arm on both sides that is looped around the stand "ears". I'm considering some hose clamps on the swingarm to give a permanent purchase point.

As an aside, I have a hydraulic lift, and it has dropped both my California and the V11 Sport at one time or another with damage to the fins on the sump as a result. Not to mention that lifting a bike out of the center of the damn thing is tantamount to inviting a hernia. Today I ordered the California and V11 adaptors from Dunwell Lifts for the hydraulic lift. As you can see, the V11 adaptor works on the same lift points for the Sport as the factory stand.

V112a.jpg

I'll let you all know how well it works after it has arrived.

Guest bshpilot
I have always used the Pitbull rear stands and intend to get one for the V11.

pit bull makes a "special" (wider version) stand to fit buell & MG.

you can not use this "special" wide pit-bull rear stand w/ their

'new-front' (it wont fit & isnt possible)

i spoke to pit-bull directly this very monday morning before i ordered

the MG stand from mph/houston

I already own two pit bull rear stands (and the front 'hoop' that converts

a rear stand to a "front" stand)...pisses me off i cant use either of

the stands i own.

rather than buy another pit-bull (which i like) i figured id rather

have the MG stand that lifts from the pork chop rather than the

swing arm.

The Pit Bull stands do look well made. But, I have a friend whose 1100 Sport slid down while he was taking it down and fell away from him against the garage door spring. Not a pretty thing. :(

Anyone know where there's a black fairing for a 1997 1100 Sport?

Guest jerroldt

I have had good luck with a Canadian made lift for the Harley. You can actually roll the bike around the garage on the stand. I Im not sure how it will work on the Le Mans since the center of gravity seems to be so far forward and the oil pan is not flat like the Harley. I will probably give it a try using shims etc. Another adventure!

Very similar to the Sears mc jack, which I got for less than the Guzzi stand -$107. I've seen it on sale for as low as $89. There're instructions on Guzzitech to adapt it for the Guzzi. Recently I have also used a flat-top scissors-type motorcycle jack under the crossover to remove the rear wheel. Exhaust systems are stronger than you think.

http://www.guzzitech.com/GuzziLift-Jeff_B.html

and the oil pan is not flat like the Harley.

when did harley's get an oil pan ?

:rolleyes:

With regard to the oil pan on the MG supporting the bike, there are photos(somewhere here on another "stand" thread) showing the bikes in production at Mandello, running down the assembly line sitting on thier pans, so... :whistle:

Now, of course, the factory may have a special cradle/jig for supporting the bike via the pan to reduce stress, but it's certainly do-able at home too.

I've jacked my bike up via the oil-pan several times with no ill effects, but the lift I used was for a huge computer... and as such is a large flat plate. I just add some padding on top to distribute the weight, and all seems fine.

I'm sure if one does the same for the "Sears" type hydraulic lift, it will be fine.

Of course this type of lift does nothing to help with oil-changes though(it hinders them), just "other" work that you'd like lifted a bit higher ^_^

For more casual work that would normally require a center stand, I use the MG shop stand. It's awesome.

al

Guest jerroldt

My error on the Harley oil pan since it is a dry sump machine. Actually the jack picks the bike up with all weight bearing on the frame tubes. Will the crossover really support the weight of the Le Mans with no ill effects? It seems like an easy solution.