Reversing Squeak

Guest Apexlocator

Guest Apexlocator

I get a squeaking when I roll my LeMans backwards. The dealer seems puzzled. Nothing makes it go away. And I now have about 4K miles on the bike. I don't ride in reverse, but still I would like it to go away!

And advice?

Sounds like rear brake groan, seems to happen to lots on & off. There's been various theories but don't think anyone's solved it permanently.

Try search this forum - should show much discussion.

Also see:

http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3716&highlight=

If it is brake binding keep an eye on rear disc's not getting too hot.

KB :sun:

...yeah, the classic brake groan :unsure: I think we all get it eventually.

My solution was to clean the heck outta the thing.

I took the caliper off, and LIBERALLY washed it out with brake cleaner, and was frankly amazed at the amount of gunk that came out.

I think this is just symptomatic of the caliper being underslung. This cured the problem for a long while.... but it does come back until one cleans it again.

I don't know if this is everyone's problem(versus warped rotors, etc), but it was a solution for mine :huh2:

al

Mine didn't squeak until I changed a rear tire recently. Now it does so copiously. Someone, I think maybe Baldini, or some other good samaritan, mentioned that the rear axle spacers are a mm short and or misaligned. He also mentioned that I might check my rear bearings, as he replaced his. I haven't confirmed this, but will check when I have the time. Extra friction in rear bearings is not such a good thing, needless to say...

...Mine didn't squeak until I changed a rear tire recently.  Now it does so... copiously. 

Ray,

Yes, mine broke two left side bearings before I discovered bearing spacer in hub was too short. When axle is fully torqued does wheel spin freely? If not could be same problem.

Guest Brian Robson

Same as Baldini...added a 1 mm thick spacer...no more rear brake groan and minimal wear on the bearings. A tip though if you ride in all weathers is that the bearings only cost $8.00 each, and I change them all at every tyre change.

What's the correct length of the spacer BTW?

Replacement spacer I have here is 113.12mm. One I took out was about 1mm shorter.

Should be interference fit between the bearing inner faces when bearings are full home. Measure between the machined faces of the bearing housings in the hub. Maybe all hubs aren't machined same.

• 6 months later...

After reading through all the rear brake squeak/grunt/groan threads (a simple search for "groan" will get you about a dozen), I'm once again happy that I ran across this great forum.

Before I read the threads, I just recently picked my 03 (really an 02) naked up for a few warranty items. While at the dealer I had them check out the rear groaning (mine is definitely not a squeak) noise as I was worried that it may be more severe such as a bearing. Mine groans just about every revolution of the wheel forward or reverse. Can easily hear it as I coast up to a stoplight.

When I picked the bike up, dealer said they checked the rotor and it was not warped and gave the bike back to me saying that "they (v11s) all do it." Well, I haven't had my v11 for that long...but long enough to realize that they all do "it" usually just means its one of those things that MG refuses to recall and doesn’t mean that I should ignore this unknown sound of friction.

So, now that I realize that this problem could be any of the following:

1. OEM pads need a good occasional scrubbing with cleaner and aftermarket pads aren't as prone to groan (heh heh).

- No way to warranty this, I'll clean on my own and see how it goes. While the caliper is off I'll give the wheel a spin and see if the noise still exists (ie...bad bearing)

2. Need to bleed the rear brake (according to Rich Maud).

- Again...probably on me to do.

3. Lucky me, my hub spacer is 1MM too short (needs to be 113.12MM) and causing the wheel to not turn completely straight/true and hitting the break pad on every turn....or the smaller spacer allows for swing arm to be to tightened to snug.

- Would rather have the dealer do this, but not sure how I can convince them that something is actually wrong. It would be my first time, but I could dig the manual out and try to add a 1MM myself...if that works maybe replace with the new/longer spacer (Assume this is a Guzzi part number?).

4. I have a bearing that is going bad.

- Again, same dealer issue...might be on me to do myself...not looking forward to it. If I do myself I will check to see if they turn smoothly and quietly. Are the replacement bearings generically available at auto parts stores or do I need to order from MG?

Any recommendations or insights? The noise is bugging the hell out of me and don't want to even think of what it is doing to the rear pads.

It would be great if someone would put a FAQ together on this. From the posts starting in 2002, sounds like it is common problem.

Thanks!

Cleaning the caliper/pads with a good soaking of brake cleaner stopped my groaning the first time, and the second time it recurred a while later.

I just pulled the caliper, hung it in a big coffee can, and just about emptied a spray can of cleaner... and tons of black crud washed out.

al

Replacement spacer I have here is 113.12mm. One I took out was about 1mm shorter.

Should be interference fit between the bearing inner faces when bearings are full home. Measure between the machined faces of the bearing housings in the hub. Maybe all hubs aren't machined same.

34086[/snapback]

This is following on from the other rear bearing thread.

My spacer is very fractionally shorter than the depth of the hub. There is a clear gap between the end of the spacer and a straight edge placed across the bearing face of the hub, but it's only paper thin. With a feeler guage it is around .2mm

Of course I don't know what exactly the gap would be with the bearing in, but it seems like any washer is going to be too thick and push the bearing out a bit. :huh2: