Leaking trans fluid onto x-over

hgravelpha@aol.com

I thought they all did that.... I suspect it's back cover on mine. There's no gaskets in there so it'd be easy to assemble it leaky at factory & considering some of the things that have been seen, not unlikely.

KB

I thought they all did that....  I suspect it's back cover on mine. There's no gaskets in there so it'd be easy to assemble it leaky at factory & considering some of the things that have been seen, not unlikely.

KB

38718[/snapback]

That's what happened to mine. Got it fixed under warrantee. The dealer had to crab the rear frame to gain access and reseal the cover. Some believe the paint is part of the issue. Paint under the heads of the screw would soften and the screw would lose its preload.

If the gear oil has been changed recently it may have been overfilled causing some oil to spill out the vent. I maintain the oil level near the bottom of the site glass to prevent this from happening.

You can draw excess oil out the fill plug by using a turkey basting syringe with a piece of plastic hose connected to the end.

Had leak onto the x-over as well...turned out to be from the gearbox. metal to metal faces, so just wasnt clean enough. also, the bolts are forward facing and behind framework, so it was engine out to clean faces and torque down bolts again.

job done under RAC warranty.

The traditional way of accessing the back of the transmission was to remove the engine - transmission group from the bike. Now, a much easier way is to disassemble the back almost completely and pivot it up on the top mounting bolt, gaining free access to the back of the transmission.

I saw somewhere that there is a plate that was design for 2001 or prior sport to support the transmission.  I have the mounting bracket on the frame.  I need the part number so I can order it.

38811[/snapback]

Here is the link to the thread(s) on the topic of the mystery bracket:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...2675&hl=bracket

al

What is the best way to fix a leaky gear box if it is leaking at the gasketless metal to metal mating faces?

1 Clean the faces, and reassemble?

2 Clean the faces, seal with something like silicone non hardening, Permatex®"form a gasket", and reassemble?

3 Clean the faces, seal with something like a non curing, honey like, gasket dressing, and reassemble?

I kind of like the third idea, but I can't remember what product had that honey like consistency.

Also, it could be a bad idea, and I need YOUR input.

Thanks in advance!

Re: suggestion #3, I've had very good luck with a permatex product- a blue, non-hardening flange sealant:

http://www.permatex.com/heavy_duty/Engines...m&item_no=25249

messy- it only takes a wee bit to coat a surface. I like that it is non-hardening, so if a little gets squished into the oil, it won't foul the galleyways.

And it seals great- I've never seen a leak with this stuff.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

That is just what I am looking for!

And yah, I don't like the idea of that silicone stuff getting where it should not be.

This stuff should do the trick and not mess up the dimensions like a gasket.

Hondabond, Yamabond, SuzukiBond..... or 3M 1104. Grey non hardening. Awesome. Used to use it to seal case halves on vertical and horiz split cases. Any dealership should carry it.

Or Hylomar. Used to use it with copperhead gaskets. At least it is available at most auto part stores.

Hondabond, Yamabond, SuzukiBond..... or 3M 1104. Grey non hardening. Awesome.  Used to use it to seal case halves on vertical and horiz split cases. Any dealership should carry it.

Or Hylomar. Used to use it with copperhead gaskets. At least it is available at most auto part stores.

38959[/snapback]

Thanks Emry,

the Hylomar blue looks perfect because it claims to allow metal to metal contact and it does not set.

http://www.hylomar.co.uk/universalblue.htm

The Threebond 1104 semi drying liquid gasket does not look bad

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/pages/p...sub3.asp?id=642

Perhaps it is too thick???

From the description, I am sure it will seal well.

The Hondabond 4's description seems lacking "elastic" "resists gasoline" but no mention of heat and oil. It may be fine, but I will be looking for the hylomar blue or permatex.

I think the original goop was Yama-bond. It's certainly the perfect stuff for this situation. I used it successfully to seal the cases on my Norton, back in the early 70's. Had all my friends warning me the the Norton was out of oil, 'cause there was no "spot" on the driveway!!