Read a good book lately?

Guest Bruce

Where can I find a copy and what is the exact title of Joey Dunlops biography?  I would love to read more about the man.  I just recently (5 years ago) got interested in the isle of mann TT and they are always talking about Joey.  I have heard of him of course but I don't know much about him.  Like, for instance, how did he die?  Its one of those things that everyone talks about assuming you already know but if your not paying attention you feel stupid.

49152[/snapback]

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...7243582-2518801

After many years of surviving the IOM TT, Joey had an accident in an obscure 125 road race in Estonia- he hit a tree after hitting some standing water on a bend.

His farewell was like a state funeral with many thousands attending and watching live on TV.

Buy the book and read about the happy bits!

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon "Jupiters travels" by Ted Simons is about the best bike book out there, I read it first when I was twelve, and even then it made the "travelling by bike" bug bite. It's still a great read.

"Long way round" by Ewan Mcgregor and the other guy was an inevitable birthday present, but I saw the tv series as well. I wasn't too impressed. They spent a fortune on the bikes, months of preperation( including self defence instruction from someone who claimed he was ex sas), with an office in London to coordinate everything. They then spent 3 months on the road, with a back up of 2 trucks, and a film crew. Now granted, they did have a go at the road of bones in Mongolia, but they spent the majority of that in the back of a train.

As someone who prefers travelling solo(or maybe two up), it all seemed a bit like overkill.

Or maybe I'm just jealous because he's a jedi knight.

FIRST LIGHT by Geoffrey Wellum. - think I've said it before ...but I'll keep on til someone else reads it....Best book I've read for years - his experience joining RAF out of school & going thru first couple years of WW11 as Spitfire pilot. There's feelings, so it may not be for big bad manly men who don't like that sort of thing - but if you think you have to put up with some shit - read what it was like in the Battle of Britain, out of ammunition, flying fogblind, chased by someone wanting to kill you. Somehow makes me realise how lucky I am.

I agree with Guzzirider: ZEN & THE...etc - Managed about quarter way before I realised I had things I'd rather be doing. Don't disagree with what he was getting at but he just rambled on & on...If you want to read about zen try THE WAY OF ZEN by Alan Watts. He was a clever man. Richard Feinmann was also a clever man. I enjoyed JUPITERS TRAVELS - good man.

Or...GREAT EXPECTATIONS, JUDE THE OBSCURE, MARTIN EDIN, ANNA KARENIN or WAR & PEACE if you want the full 9 yards...or...any RAYMOND CHANDLER or ALL THE PRETTY HORSES...

Personally I don't see anything wrong with talking about feelings - mostly it's all we've got. I ride my bike ...I ride my bike...I don't talk about it. I talk about my feelings...Try THE MINT by TE Lawrence, there's never a better written description (The Road) of how it is to ride a bike at the limit than that...

KB :sun:

:grin: Might have to use a baseball bat - Guzziology's pretty thick...

I'll give First Light a shot - even if there are "feelings". Just as long as the wussy meter doesn't read off scale. Always up for a good Spitfire read!!

Jupiter's Travels is a very good book, tho' dry in parts. I met Ted Simon a few years ago when he came to speak to my vintage brit bike club. Great guy, very keen to talk to us about his life's experiences, not just Jupiter. Now that was a motorcycle book!

Anything by HST is always entertaining, but you have to take it for what it is - gonzo.

cheers,

Rj

Have you tried poking it with a stick, that should shift it....

49323[/snapback]

That is just the sort of technical advice that you would expect to see in a Guzzi manual.

I'll give First Light a shot - even if there are "feelings"... 

Great guy, very keen to talk to us about his life's experiences...

Rj

49329[/snapback]

Oh oh. Is Badgoosey turning into a... girly ? :rolleyes:

I mentioned this one before (last year?) but it still doesn't appear to be published. Anyone seen it in real life, maybe in USA?

1861267355.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Have you tried poking it with a stick, that should shift it....

KB :sun:

49323[/snapback]

Wondering what length the stick should be? Here's the short answer:

When you go to the shop to purchase a stick, the most important thing is to find one you are comfortable with and gives you an acceptable amount of flex. The weight is important, but also important is the curve of the stick - if you are a beginner, you really don't want a stick with too much curve.

As for how tall the stick should be, when you are standing in shoes or socks, the stick should come between your chin and nose. I prefer a stick around the top of my breastbone - about an inch or so under my chin. MGNAmen typically prefer a longer stick to reach out and poke the customer away from rushing forwards...

More information here.

This must be the old 5-speed box he's talking about poking:

'Fatigue...when you are using a short stick-as long as your shifts are short as well...you energy levels should be okay-but if your caught out there on one 200ft rush and trying to come back-especially for little guys-if your stick is to short-you can't get proper hip flexion/extension-and your illipsoas muccles come into play more then your quads and you will find your...blah, blah'

BTW, where do you find is the best place on the V.11 to carry your stick?

I mentioned this one before (last year?) but it still doesn't appear to be published. Anyone seen it in real life, maybe in USA?

1861267355.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

49337[/snapback]

I have a copy on order with Amazon- they say first week in May.

Guy :helmet: