Prospective owner questions

txrider

I'd like to introduce myself as a long time rider who does his own bike work and has acquired considerable enthusiasm for owning a Guzzi, 1-2 year old LeMans or Sport. Although I have read the FAQ's and studied the tech section I'd like to ask this- what areas to focus on a low mileage used Guzzi to head off problems before they turn into roadside-call-for help issues?

Thanks for your patience and look forward to your views.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of depends on which year and which model. Could you elaborate a bit more please?

40245[/snapback]

2003 V11 LeMans or Sport is what I'm looking for. Are there problems these models have which affect reliability and which one would handle pre-emptively to insure successful trouble free touring?

As an example I ride a Futura and thanks to apriliaforum we know most of those bikes benefit from charging circuit wiring mods and an '05' remap.

So I'm trying to get a handle on what to do with a bike when I get it to maximize reliability.

Guest Brian Robson
I'd like to introduce myself as a long time rider who does his own bike work and has acquired considerable enthusiasm for owning a Guzzi, 1-2 year old LeMans or Sport.  Although I have read the FAQ's and studied the tech section I'd like to ask this-  what areas to focus on a low mileage used Guzzi to head off problems before they turn into roadside-call-for help issues?

Thanks for your patience and look forward to your views.

40213[/snapback]

Definitely buy Dave's bike. It has all the mods you require (seat, slightly raised bars, higher screen, PC111usb, new relays, Stucchi crossover and Titanium pipes) plus Dave has had the bike tuned at MI and the temperature sensor fixed so the bike runs smoothly. I've ridden the bike and would buy it without hesitation.

Dave's bike does have the blistering engine paint issue, but it is very mild and compared to mine it is pristine.

Plus he is asking a very reasonable price. :race:

:homer: another tx....just kidding. Welcome.

40271[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking for a bike close to the Ft. Worth/Dallas area to ease the logistics of getting the bike. In fact it would be great to go get the bike and ride it home, weather permitting (cold and rainy as I write this).

I imagine a close going over of the electrics, particularly connectors, fluids change, valve check and I'm ready to go. Any other items?( bump). Incidently, here is a good piece of info on electrical connector maintenance-

http://www.intendedacceleration.com/html/tip_14.html

Might prove useful.

Howdy there...partner  :thumbsup: (we need a smiley w/cowboy hat!)

so are you all the way up there in the metroplex? (or am i all the way down here? <_>

40361[/snapback]

Yep, Arlington to be precise but would much rather be down where you are near the Hill Country. Too many SUVs, mad wives drive'em up here.

Guest dkgross
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm looking for a bike close to the Ft. Worth/Dallas area to ease the logistics of getting the bike.

Shipping my bike from Seattle to Texas wouldn't cost THAT much :)

Shipping my bike from Seattle to Texas wouldn't cost THAT much :)

40381[/snapback]

Dave, not to burden all with shipping details but I've already done some checking with 3 shippers and all quoted $600+ to ship from Atlanta to Ft. Worth on a bike I was considering there. I think Seattle is further although I haven't checked for sure.

You do have a nice bike, though. You deliver? It can't cost THAT much. :D

Txrider,

The ride from Seatle would be great. You should drive it on home yourself...

I used to ride from Berkeley (Ca) to San Marcos (Tx) on a pretty regular basis- it's not a bad ride........except for Texas.....OK, west Texas is pretty F'ing boring.

It'd still be a nice ride, though.

J

Guest davidb

I would recommend buying Dave"s guzzi because he has worked out and fixed all the problems that you might inherent from another bike. We know his bike. You may pay 600$ in repairs on another bike. I would fly to seattle and ride it home.

Dave, not to burden all with shipping details but I've already done some checking with 3 shippers and all quoted $600+ to ship from Atlanta to Ft. Worth on a bike I was considering there.  :D

40386[/snapback]

You're getting boned--

contact Forward Air.

maybe Forwardair.com?

$500 max anywhere in U.S.